Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi CT,
I see that a lot of people do the -3inch bj flip mod and stick lowering blocks in the rear. I've been driving the stock setup aggressively on the way to work but it doesn't feel like its enough (I also drive at the nearby mountain passes). How good is cornering performance with said modifications? I don't plan to ever do a coilover conv. as I wish to push the old school suspensions' limits at the track too. How is the high-speed stability as well?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think lowering helped much at all. It sure lowers the center of gravity, but you start to hit rear bumps fast, and it leans a whole lot. I put the hellwig rear sway bar in and it made it a whole lot better. I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped just lowered, but I wouldn't mind tracking it with a rear sway bar. I also still have the factory tires, low profile tires would also help a lot.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
... I put the hellwig rear sway bar in and it made it a whole lot better. I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped just lowered, but I wouldn't mind tracking it with a rear sway bar ...
I agree - adding a rear anti-sway bar will do more for cornering stability than anything else you might do - including simply lowering the center of gravity.

Personally, I think lowering strategies that monkey with the front suspension components (e.g., the b/j flip) don't help. They unavoidably screw with the suspension geometry, and it takes a lot of tweaking to get things back the way they were designed to be.

Another aspect of the problem is the light rear end with an empty bed. Settling down the bed with some weight makes a bigger difference than most folks realize.

Just my .02 ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm.
I have to say that I was a bit skeptical when I found out that people were doing this mod to their toyotas, sounds silly even...
I'm thinking about just getting some lowering springs/blocks and going with some monomax's all-round. Currently doing research on rear sway bars. I do plan on getting wider wheels/tires after the drop so that will help drastically.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hm.
I have to say that I was a bit skeptical when I found out that people were doing this mod to their toyotas, sounds silly even...
I'm thinking about just getting some lowering springs/blocks and going with some monomax's all-round. Currently doing research on rear sway bars. I do plan on getting wider wheels/tires after the drop so that will help drastically.
Good luck.
did you end up finding a brand to go with for sway bars?

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as I know hellwig is the only sway bar kit offered. Saying that you can also still buy factory s-runner sway bars from Toyota and piece together a kit. I have hellwig and it made the truck much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as I know hellwig is the only sway bar kit offered. Saying that you can also still buy factory s-runner sway bars from Toyota and piece together a kit. I have hellwig and it made the truck much more fun to drive.
Oh okay, curious how is comparea to the s-runner sway bars? Since I currently have a s-runner.
I guess I should just keep the ones I have

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
Oh okay, curious how is comparea to the s-runner sway bars? Since I currently have a s-runner.
I guess I should just keep the ones I have
Yes, you should ...

The S-Runner rear sway bar is the best solution of all, because it was specifically designed for a 1995.5 - 2004 5-lugger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you end up finding a brand to go with for sway bars?
Hey-o, I ended up going with the Belltech 4260 springs (v6 spring rate/ with drop) and a couple of 3 inch steel blocks from DJM for the rear-end. I also swapped out the old monomax shocks it had for some new ones and boy, the cornering performance has improved drastically! Without a rear stabilizer bar I can take all the highway turns at over 100mph (the speed limiter stops me at about 105ish). There's only one turn on the highway where i've felt a bit of under-steer but it's a downhill slope so it's understandable. My rear-end feels pretty tight on the highway already thanks to my 2-way diff. (welded diff LOL). P.S. fyi you dont need a spring compressor to swap out the coils, if anything the frickin' spring compressor gave me more work when my friend brought it over after I was done with the drivers side.

That's my update. Now, as far as the stabilizers go...

I was actually looking at an Addco rear sway-bar kit that says it a bit over an inch in diameter (I also think it's bolt-on), I think the Hellwig sway bar is 7/8 or something, don't remember. The beefier the better.

I'm going to keep on working on weight reduction and restoring the cab a bit before I get the stabilizer kit because don't really need at the moment since im able to drive it like an impreza. 😁 Oh yeah and my 2rz engine is going to blow up soon because the idiots who owned it before me tried doing an oil change on it but cut the casing of the oil filter because it was too tight for them. You can guess what happened. (ran it low on oil, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP) Now it's worse than a POS 2az engine... but it PULLS for a N/A 4 banger!!!

My online gallery is on instagram @noir4418 if you want to keep up with the **** I do with the truck + some other cool car **** I post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey-o, I ended up going with the Belltech 4260 springs (v6 spring rate/ with drop) and a couple of 3 inch steel blocks from DJM for the rear-end. I also swapped out the old monomax shocks it had for some new ones and boy, the cornering performance has improved drastically! Without a rear stabilizer bar I can take all the highway turns at over 100mph (the speed limiter stops me at about 105ish). There's only one turn on the highway where i've felt a bit of under-steer but it's a downhill slope so it's understandable. My rear-end feels pretty tight on the highway already thanks to my 2-way diff. (welded diff LOL). P.S. fyi you dont need a spring compressor to swap out the coils, if anything the frickin' spring compressor gave me more work when my friend brought it over after I was done with the drivers side.

That's my update. Now, as far as the stabilizers go...

I was actually looking at an Addco rear sway-bar kit that says it a bit over an inch in diameter (I also think it's bolt-on), I think the Hellwig sway bar is 7/8 or something, don't remember. The beefier the better.

I'm going to keep on working on weight reduction and restoring the cab a bit before I get the stabilizer kit because don't really need at the moment since im able to drive it like an impreza. 😁 Oh yeah and my 2rz engine is going to blow up soon because the idiots who owned it before me tried doing an oil change on it but cut the casing of the oil filter because it was too tight for them. You can guess what happened. (ran it low on oil, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP) Now it's worse than a POS 2az engine... but it PULLS for a N/A 4 banger!!!

My online gallery is on instagram @noir4418 if you want to keep up with the ** I do with the truck + some other cool car ** I post.
I'll add u right now on ig

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, you should ...

The S-Runner rear sway bar is the best solution of all, because it was specifically designed for a 1995.5 - 2004 5-lugger.
I'm planning to add the S-Runner rear sway bars on my 03 2.4L xtracab taco and would like to know if the factory S-Runner bars are still available to purchase at the dealership. I've asked my local yota dealership and they told me that the bars are still being sold but some of the need components were discontinued. Any info on what parts and where to buy will be greatly appreciated.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that a Toyota dealership claims the S-Runner swaybars are still being sold.

Did they tell you the swaybar was still being sold through the dealership?

I'm confused as to why they didn't or couldn't give you a list or diagram of all the needed parts at the dealership.

Here (attached) is the SR rear swaybar parts diagram from the 2001 - 2004 factory parts list. It gives the OEM part numbers for each of the components. Remember - you'd need 2 of each ... The Stabilizer Link Bracket is the only piece for which there are different versions for the right and left sides.

sr-rear-swaybar-parts.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, the parts guy said the bars itself are still being sold but some of the parts in the diagram are not. If I'm not mistaken, the stabilizer link (#4 in the diagram) were discontinued and are out of stock. Thanks for the info. I'll try to contact my local dealership again and find out more details about this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I called the dealer again and they said the S-Runner sway bars are NOT being sold anymore and that they were discontinued :cry:.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts
I can't say I'm surprised, because I thought it odd they'd told you they were still available 16 years after the last S-Runners were sold.

Anyway ... Sorry to hear they dashed your hopes.

I suppose the next step is to consider a Hellwig rear sway bar. The longstanding advice was "Addco front / Hellwig rear."

Reactions: Michael Bueno245
1 - 16 of 16 Posts