going to change the coolant in my 2tr-fe

draining the factory coolant

filling up with de-ionized water for a day

draining DI water and filling up with Engine Ice

soooo, what is the fluid capacity?

·
damn
6,533 Posts
the 3.4L is around 6-8 gallons. Not sure on the 4cyl. Id imagine it would be about 1/2 of that

·
Babylon is Falling
1,767 Posts
the 3.4L is around 6-8 gallons. Not sure on the 4cyl. Id imagine it would be about 1/2 of that
6-8 gallons? I'm pretty sure you meant 6-8 quarts. :shrug:

going to change the coolant in my 2tr-fe

draining the factory coolant

filling up with de-ionized water for a day

draining DI water and filling up with Engine Ice

soooo, what is the fluid capacity?
According to http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index:

5VZ-FE:
2WD = 10 quarts
4WD = 11 quarts

2TR-FE:
Just over 9 quarts

These values are for the initial fill. There's always some coolant that never gets drained and remains in the system (just like engine oil when changing it) even if the block and radiator are both drained.

Forget about running it with DI'd water for a day or using other snake oil additives. Just drain the block and rad, then refill with 50/50 Toyota Coolant and distilled water.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
The Owners Manual lists the total 2TR coolant capacity as 9.1 quarts for both manual and automatic transmissions.

·
Banned
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6-8 gallons? I'm pretty sure you meant 6-8 quarts. :shrug:

According to http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index:

5VZ-FE:
2WD = 10 quarts
4WD = 11 quarts

2TR-FE:
Just over 9 quarts

These values are for the initial fill. There's always some coolant that never gets drained and remains in the system (just like engine oil when changing it) even if the block and radiator are both drained.

Forget about running it with DI'd water for a day or using other snake oil additives. Just drain the block and rad, then refill with 50/50 Toyota Coolant and distilled water.
The Owners Manual lists the total 2TR coolant capacity as 9.1 quarts for both manual and automatic transmissions.
this 9.1 quarts is for initial fill. Toyota San Diego said 6.7 for a change.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Are you asking for the fill quantity for the radiator only or the radiator and the block? Find out what 6.7 is for. Given the small quanity, just over half a gallon, I'm going to guess it's for just the radiator.

I'd just drain the radiator and block, and see how much fluid you get. Measure the coolant drained if possible. Then fill to this amount or to 7 quarts, start the motor, and add/subtract as necessary.

·
Banned
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you asking for the fill quantity for the radiator only or the radiator and the block? Find out what 6.7 is for. Given the small quanity, just over half a gallon, I'm going to guess it's for just the radiator.

I'd just drain the radiator and block, and see how much fluid you get. Measure the coolant drained if possible. Then fill to this amount or to 7 quarts, start the motor, and add/subtract as necessary.
makes sense.

anybody know how to drain the block on the 2tr?

·
Babylon is Falling
1,767 Posts
makes sense.

anybody know how to drain the block on the 2tr?
I have no experience withn the 2TR... But if it's like 99% of all other motors then there should be a drain plug on the side of the block somewhere. Is probably 3/8 NPT plug w/12mm or 14mm wrench size.

edit: May have a piggyback plug and valve setup instead of a standard drain plug. I'll try and find a pic on my 2RZ's block drain.

·
Babylon is Falling
1,767 Posts
Here's a shot of my 2RZ's block drain (piggyback valve petc0ck system with little drain tube). It's somewhat obscured by the "T" oil feed fitting that I have for my AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,564 Posts
Here's the 2005 / 2006 FSM procedure for replacing 2TR coolant. Attached is the set of illustrations from the FSM.

2TR-FE COOLING – COOLANT

COOLANT REPLACEMENT

1. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT
CAUTION: To avoid the danger of being burned, do not remove the radiator cap while the engine and radiator are still hot. Thermal expansion will cause hot engine coolant and steam to blow out from the radiator.

(a) Remove the 4 bolts, then remove the engine under cover No. 1. (PRE RUNNER AND 4WD TYPE)

(b) Install a vinyl hose onto the radiator side.

(c) Install a vinyl hose onto the engine side.

(d) Loosen the engine drain plug.

(e) Loosen the radiator drain plug.

(f) Remove the radiator cap and drain coolant.

(g) Drain the coolant from the reservoir tank.

2. ADD ENGINE COOLANT
(a) Tighten the engine drain plug.

Torque: 13 N*m (130 kgf*cm, 9 ft.*lbf)

(b) Tighten the radiator drain plug.

(c) Disconnect the 2 vinyl hoses.

(d) Slowly fill the system with engine coolant.

Capacity:

M/T: 8.7 liters (9.2 US qts, 7.7 lmp. qts)
A/T: 8.6 liters (9.1 US qts, 7.6 lmp. qts)

HINT: Use of improper coolants may damage the engine cooling system.

2TR-FE COOLING – COOLANT

Use only Toyota Super Long Life Coolant or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology (coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology consists of a combination of low phosphates and organic acids.)

New Toyota vehicles are filled with Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. When replacing the coolant, Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (color is pink, premixed ethylene glycol concentration is approximately 50 % and freezing temperature is 35°C (-31°F)) is recommended.

NOTICE: Do not substitute plain water for engine coolant.

(e) Check the coolant level inside the radiator by squeezing the inlet and outlet radiator hoses several times by hand. If the coolant level goes down, add coolant.

(f) Install the radiator cap securely.

(g) Slowly pour coolant into the radiator reservoir until it reaches the FULL line.

(h) Warm up the engine until the cooling fan operates.

Set the air conditioning as follows while warming up the engine:

Fan speed - Any setting except OFF
Temperature - Toward warm
Air condition switch - OFF

(i) Squeeze the inlet and outlet radiator hoses several times by hand while warming up the engine.

(j) Stop the engine and wait until the coolant cools down.

(k) Remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level inside the radiator.

(l) If the coolant level is below the full level, perform the steps from (d) through (k) and repeat the operation until the coolant level remains at the full level.

(m) Check the coolant level inside the radiator reservoir tank again. If it is below the full level, add coolant.

(n) Install the engine under cover No. 1 with the 4 bolts. s(PRE RUNNER AND 4WD TYPE)
Torque: 30 N*m (306 kgf*cm, 22 ft.*lbf)

3. CHECK FOR ENGINE COOLANT LEAKAGE

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the 2005 / 2006 FSM procedure for replacing 2TR coolant. Attached is the set of illustrations from the FSM.
Excellent info, thanks so much. My 2015 truck is due for a coolant change.

I would have forgotten all about the engine block and just done the radiator if I hadn't read this.

Just a REMINDER to all, as is stated in Enola's post, Toy coolant is PREMIXED, 50/50. Ignore any advice to combine 50/50 coolant and water. The Toy red coolant is used AS IS from the container. My 2TR-FE MT takes 9.2 qts according to what I read, which means I will need >2 gallons on hand before I swap it out. I was thinking "I may have enough, cause I only need half the total capacity, the other half is distilled water..." but that's incorrect. And it sucks cause that Toy factory red is fairly expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts