Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Tacoma Territory 4x4 site and I searched all over their message board and couldnt find out any info on the 2.4 / 2.7 supercharger. Can someone hook me up with a link or any information .. thanks!!
Justin

·
j-baby
3,644 Posts
justin

jason is right, do a aol search for alpine superchargers...and ull see tacoma hiulux or something thats what u want , they make superchargers for both the 2.4 and 2.7l

huraaaahhhh

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I prob won't have funds to do major mods for a couple of years but....What's better? Turbo kit or Supercharger? They cost just about the same so what's the advantages/disadvantages of either? Whith a super you get more power right off the line right?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well there both are good.. and both have it's positive and negatives.... Turbo... I personally would get.. the Supercharger is more torque not really for top end power.. Turbo is.. but turbo is only efficent when it is spooled up and an nice intercooler would help... Supercharger beats on your engine when on idol.. plus you are stuck with power it gives you.. turbo you can change and increase your PSI to give you more power..but fine tuning is needed.. supercharger just bolt on... if so.. I would get the Turbo for the High end power and NOS for the low end.. best of both.. you may know I am a NOS man.. reason being cause back in 1996.. that's was the only thing available.. it's really up to you... NOS is good cause it is on demand power for both top and low end.. but the major draw back is refilling the bottle and keeping it warm.. plus it sucks when your bottle is almost empty... if you really concerned about price.. then go with the supercharger.. cause the turbo will cost more in the long run cause you need to pay more to make it more efficent cause a good Intercooler for the turbo is around $2,000 with custom piping... oh one more thing.. the supercharger has a less likely chance to ruin your motor.. any power adder will harm the engine.. if not properly tuned.. especially with Turbo & NOS..

·
Registered
148 Posts
well i would expect TRD to make this supercharger street legal. Some pros about the supercharger is that there is no lag unlike the turbo,and the PSI can be changed by simply changing the pulley of the supercharger.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow that sounds great, 35% increase should bring the 2.4 up to around 190 hp? anyone who gets this please let us know. Now how much would that cost in Canadian dollars, the exchange really sucks right now.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Yeah, that's a nice supercharger, street legal and fully backed by Toyota...brings a stock 2.4L up to 191HP, that's pretty dramatic...I personally would prefer the super over the turbo, simple design, solid power from the time you hit go to the time you redline, and you generally get much better wear out of a super than a turbo, on the charger itself and the engine as a whole. I read that it takes approx 11HP to run a super since it's belt driven off the crank, but considering the fact that it will generate about 60HP extra boost at 5000RPM (60-11 =49, bringing 142 to 191) that's a fair trade of power I'd say!

Wish I didn't have to buy myself back out of debt before I can get one!

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Why is it that most people are modifying their 4cyl?? It's all about the 6cyl man!! come on!

The supercharged 6cyl puts you up around 250 hp!! Thats what you're looking for, it's fast, furious, and it'll take you somewhere... not to mention it's beefier looking...

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Cuz when that's what you got, that's what you got! Should we NOT try to get more power out of the engine's we have simply because there is a larger stock system available? Of course not! We take what we've got and pull the best we can from it, and with the Taco's 24.L 4 cyl, there's quite a lot that can be gotten out of it.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Cool, jsut curious.. ehhehe.. theres a lot of 2.4l talk on this board... i just miss the 6cyl talk! hehehe... But it's all good, becuse we're tacoma's! Dude... we gotta get together and roll around so we can squish those ricers...

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Is your truck stick or auto? The s/c 4x4 and prerunner autos only seem to run low 15s from what I've seen. There are several of us on here with the V6, but mostly 4 cyl.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Indeed, unfortunatlyi have the prerunner V6... and i do believe your estimation is prob most accurate. Doing lots of research on attempting to incease boost for the supercharger i found that the newer TRD Superchargers are outputting an average of 4.5 psi, where as the old ones averge from 5-7 and even as high as 8psi.

Gadgets says theres a backflow of airpressure taking away from the boost.. something like that. I still haven't gotten that fixed.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
4cyl may not put out as much power as the V6... but it's about power to wieght ratio... from personal experience... V6 supercharger runs 15's down a track fully interior... a 4 cyl with only a 50 shot of NOS run's 15's down the track fully interior so that is like 142hp+50hp=192hp(automatic) when the V6 is like 190hp+ I dunno what the SC makes.. but if you say total 250hp. If I were to get the V6... with SC.. it would definatelly be 4x4 off-roader.. but the 4cyl... they are STREET FIGHTERS.. hahahahha...

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
if the V4's are the streetfighters... then what does that make hte V6's?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts