Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothng when it come to suspension. After reading the sticky, would using a 6in drop down wiith coil-overs give me up to 9in of suspension lift in the front? I just want to know what is the highest possible lift without doing a SAS. If I can get 12in lift( including a 3in body) then I might not go with a SAS which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wassup Cuz, I see you from the 808 as well.

The Fabtech, I don't think you can get 9 inches as it only drops the diff 4 inches. So it is like already having a 2 inch lift on there. Something like having a 4" drop bracket and using coilovers with 2" of lift to get 6 inches. I think that max you can get is 7 inches. You will be killing your CV's and ball joints. Your ride will be even more harsh. And if anything, you will only have 1" of down travel left, if that matters to you.

Trailmaster drops the diff 6" so you could get your 9" with C/O's and 12" with the 3" BL. Tuff Country, drops the diff 5" and you could get 8". You will be killing your CV's and ball joints as well.

If your truck is a 4X2, then you will be only killing your ball joints.

Fabtech 6" + 1" + 3" = 10"
Trailmaster 6" + 3" + 3" = 12"
Tuff Country 5" + 3" + 3" = 11"

Check out Peter Parks http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/01tacoma.html#sus

On the other hand, why so much lift? Assuming you don't care aobut Recon and problems getting safety checks?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howzit....

I donʻt really care about recon and i get safety checks from my uncle....with my tint I cannot pass safety check anyway and as for the height....idk...i just like the look. My taco isnʻt my daily driver so that why I want to go as high as possible and trying to see what my option would be with keeping my independent front before commiting to a SAS

·
Registered
986 Posts
I got around 12" of lift with the fabtech 6", dirt logic coilovers + trailmaster 6" spacers, & 3" body lift. truck rides pretty stiff & my coilovers touch my cv axles when turning at full lock. :shrug:

·
Registered
837 Posts
2siktacos:
i forget if it was you or mano who was looking for an extended bodied coil over for their FT lift.... fyi: this discussion is going on with RADFLO. they built (or are building) a FT length CO that is addressing all of the inhenrent CV clearance issues. looks like a clean set-up.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89507

~aloha~

·
Registered
290 Posts
just stay clear from the fabtech 6" and especially the whiplash 10"...there is no need to go that high..and your ride will be horrible..trust me when i tell you this..do a 3" lift put some better rear shocks, better coilovers..32"s new rims and call it good..6" and a 10" just isnt a good idea..plus running a 35's will kill you on gas and regearing is a must..

·
Registered
986 Posts
2siktacos:
i forget if it was you or mano who was looking for an extended bodied coil over for their FT lift.... fyi: this discussion is going on with RADFLO. they built (or are building) a FT length CO that is addressing all of the inhenrent CV clearance issues. looks like a clean set-up.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89507

~aloha~
cool, that's some very useful info. I'm going to keep my eye on that thread even though I'm not a member of ttora nor do I want to be from everything I heard about that website. :shrug:

·
Registered
290 Posts
id wait till we find out whats going on with it..im on the list of getting the coilover..i'll let you know what difference it makes..but take it from someone who has the 6" lift..dont do it..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just want to go high. I'm not planning to do any off roading in this taco as it's a pre-runner. So if I understand correct I could go with a drop down plus C/O with spacers to acheive a high lift....I think that I might go with my original plan and use my dads broken 84 toyota pickup suspension and do a SAS....i don't know:shrug:

·
Registered
986 Posts
if you want to or ever think you might want to wheel it I say go sas. You can go higher & add 4wd like stated in prior post. If it's only going to stay on the steets don't sas it. A ride in a sas on the street is worse than having your coilover's cranked up 3" IMO.
you live oahu right??? get a shop to stretch the tuff country lift for you.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my original thought was to do a SAS and convert it to 4x4 to be able to use it but I dont want to go through the hassle of adding all the stuff although I already have a 2002 tacoma transfer case that I got for $175 from a guy down my block and I'm sure that I could still use use my dads old toyota pickup front axle.....what did 2siktacos mean by having a shop stretch a tuff country lift?:shrug:

·
Registered
986 Posts
some guys & shops down here have been cutting the crossmembers in half & extending them for more lift. there was a guy awihle back collosusabbot or something who kinda did the same thing with the trailmaster 6" lift. you just cut add metal & weld it back to extend it. just gotta find a way to extend the spindles too. I think I heard of some making custom spacers out of pipe, & some just use the pro comp grenade looking thingy. just do the 12" total lift like everybody else. 9" suspension & 3" body will clear up to 39.5" tires. Or you could float on 35's like me. It's the easiest way if it's only going to be a streeter. :shrug:

·
Registered
290 Posts
the fabtech doesnt have any coilover right now..only the newere tacos..so all you'll get is the 6" fabtech with the ****ty struts that ride like ****..radflo is trying to come up with a coilover but no one knows when it will be available. I really dont know why you would want to lift your truck that high..i have the fabtech 6" and i hate it..its a POS.. if i could do it all over again id go long travel..anything over 6" is just pointless 12" is just stupid and unsafe..and if you plan on getting it installed good luck no one with touch your truck and put a spacer lift on top of a suspension lift..if you want to go high so bad get the procomp 6" than add a bodylift..and runn 35's or even 37's but when your truck goes way underpower and your gas is ****y and your tranny goes out after a bit and your cv's brake every 6 months your gna wish you didnt put the 2500 buks into a kit that rides like ****..just my 2 cents..GO SAS..ITS CHEAPER..but its also for wheeling your truck...

·
Registered
986 Posts
the fabtech doesnt have any coilover right now..only the newere tacos..so all you'll get is the 6" fabtech with the ****ty struts that ride like ****..radflo is trying to come up with a coilover but no one knows when it will be available. I really dont know why you would want to lift your truck that high..i have the fabtech 6" and i hate it..its a POS.. if i could do it all over again id go long travel..anything over 6" is just pointless 12" is just stupid and unsafe..and if you plan on getting it installed good luck no one with touch your truck and put a spacer lift on top of a suspension lift..if you want to go high so bad get the procomp 6" than add a bodylift..and runn 35's or even 37's but when your truck goes way underpower and your gas is ****y and your tranny goes out after a bit and your cv's brake every 6 months your gna wish you didnt put the 2500 buks into a kit that rides like ****..just my 2 cents..GO SAS..ITS CHEAPER..but its also for wheeling your truck...
dude no offense, but you are talking gibberish. :looney:

·
Registered
837 Posts
?:shrug:

6+3+3 = 12" of lift. it's been done. you'll need a trail master strut spacer. That will enable you to use the coil over of your choice.

Pro Comp's lift is a 4" not a 6".

I've never heard of someone's transmission giving out because of big tires. CV boots yes, ball joints yes, clutch yes... but transmissions?

I wouldn't go that high, but there are folks who would... and that's cool.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i meant the fabtech 6" or go with a 4" procomp..it happens all the time..lifting your truck that high puts stress on the motor and tranny if it isnt geard right..and you''ll never get it regeard..you go ahead and put a spacer lift ontop of a suspension lift..tell me in 6months to a year how its doing...point is your truck will ride like **** if you do it that way..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought you could go pretty high with an IFS. When I go down Kea'au to visit family I always see the sickest taco. I remember seeing a high white dbl. cab that seemed higher than 9 in. and my cuz said it was like 10' suspension only...not to sure..so if i wanted 12 in. of lift I shoud go with a tuff country 6in.+ trail master spacer w/ C/O+ 3in. body lift= 12in of total lift....is this right....I'm only planning on runing street because I have a 91' single cab toyota 4x4 thats all banged up and planning to SAS that cause I won't feel bad if I smash a 3,000 dollar vehicle vs. 15,000 vehicle into something

1 - 20 of 31 Posts