Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X Runner is the first vehicle that I've owned with a manual tans. I've noticed in the past few days that the "friction point pedal position" (I hope I got my point across) has raised quite a bit. Also, when I first got the car, the clutch gradually grabbed as I let go of the clutch. Now there is a definite point where the clutch grabs with alot less pedal travel. As in, once I hit the friction point, there is alot less pedal travel until the clutch is fully engaged.

I only have 3,000 miles on the truck, but because I only live 2 miles away from work, most of it is city driving and I don't baby it.

Is this normal wear and tear? Did the clutch go through a "break in period"?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's hard to tell with the hydraulc clutches nowadays. With the 'old style' mechanical linkages you could gauge clutch wear pretty easily.
You -might- have had some air in the line from the master cyl to the cyl on the tranny and it -might- have bled out since the time the truck was new, raising your friction point slightly. Do you abuse it pretty heavily? Like lots of burnouts such as in your avatar? (Not knocking you, burnouts are FUN) But that takes a toll on a clutch, and very quickly. You could have a dealer check it out, but if it indeed the clutch is worn out it prob won't be warrantied...:(

HTH.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hard on it.... but I don't burn out every launch. I think it's more of a temp thing. lately it's been getting colder in GA. I've noticed a trend in the clutch/trany as the temp has changed. if I let the truck warm up for 15-20 min before I take it out it's much, MUCH better. I'm thinking about getting that new trany fluid that some of the guys are talking about mt90 or something...

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Well, none of us know how hard on it you really are. But I do know a guy that burned the clutch out on his mustang in 5k miles. There is also a thread about a tacoma that has 750k miles on the original powertrain and 2nd clutch, so with proper driving, they can last over 200k miles. Looking at your avatar picture I'd say you beat on your truck pretty well. Just remember one thing: there is nothing out there, including toyotas that will hold up to abuse. And that avatar picture is the definition of abuse. If you do that kind of stuff on a regualr basis, don't expect your truck to last long.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
that is not me in my Avatar... just found it some where and thought it was cool.

I guess if you compare how hard I am on the clutch to the pic... I'm a grandma driver. I really do think it is a temp factor

·
Registered
201 Posts
MasterTech said:
Toyota will warranty a clutch for 5 years or 30k
I don't think so. I work for Toyota. A clutch is like the brakes, it's a wear item. Warrentied only if low milage and something comes apart. Other then that, it's all you'rs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Changing the trans fluid will not change the clutch pedal assy, Just monitor it and see if it changes for you. You can adjust it if needed, but as far as warranty its like 2 years 20K miles or so.. Depends on what they see when they take it apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts