Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 4WD has a new clutch installed, and I replaced the slave cylinder about 5k miles ago. Should I try to replace the master cylinder? It's just hard to shift, seems like it's not disengaging properly.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
What happens to make you think the clutch isn't disengaging properly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happens to make you think the clutch isn't disengaging properly?
It is sometimes hard to shift, and once I almost couldn't get it out of reverse, had to release the pedal and push it in again. I'm worried I will get somewhere and it won't disengage at all. I should add that the new clutch was put in maybe 500-1k miles ago, and it worked fine then, this is a new problem.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
All other things being equal I'd suspect the master cylinder - possibly caused by wear when trying to operate with the new slave cylinder and clutch.

Have you checked for leaks or maybe air in the lines?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
No, if I don't find any leaks should I bleed the system?
It wouldn't hurt, in case air's gotten into the system. If it's air in the system, and you made it 500 - 1,000 miles before the clutch started misbehaving, that suggests a slow leak somewhere.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
Sorry for the confusion ... I meant a slow leakage of air into the system, not necessarily a slow leakage of fluid out of the system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the confusion ... I meant a slow leakage of air into the system, not necessarily a slow leakage of fluid out of the system.
Okay, I flushed the system, there were some air bubbles shortly after I started. Today was the first time I drove it to town. Now it is shifting a lot better but still seems a little grindy, not sure if it's supposed to be that way or real smooth. Can I look for a leak and if so how, should I change the master cylinder or??

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
I'm not sure whether you ought to change the master cylinder (yet). It's hard to tell. Sometimes when you put in new components in a hydraulic circuit it causes the overall operating pressure to rise (from where it was right before the repairs) and surviving older components (e.g., in this case the master cylinder) can start to leak or fail.

Have you checked and set the clutch pedal travel / play since the new components were installed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure whether you ought to change the master cylinder (yet). It's hard to tell. Sometimes when you put in new components in a hydraulic circuit it causes the overall operating pressure to rise (from where it was right before the repairs) and surviving older components (e.g., in this case the master cylinder) can start to leak or fail.

Have you checked and set the clutch pedal travel / play since the new components were installed?
No, I have not. I will do that next. I don't know if the mechanic that installed the clutch did that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Clutch masters on Toyotas almost always fail due to a external leak(unlike brake master cylinders that can have internal seal failure).
You'll see the leak on the cabin floor just under the clutch pedal. And the reservoir would be low.
Bleeding it again wouldn't hurt anything, though I'd think the pedal would feel odd if there was air still present in the lines.

What clutch kit was installed?
Have you checked the clutch pedal freeplay?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts