Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Clear corners

Ok for the all the 05 owners out there who hate those ugly orange and dull yellow reflectors I have found a safe way to remove them and make it a very clean looking headlight. Put aside 2 hours to do this because you want to take your time and not rush this.

Tools needed
Basic Oven
Flat head screw driver
Phillips head screw driver
10mm socket with wrench

Ok first you need to start removal of the stock grill, it’s pretty simple start by removing the 2 top 10mm bolts on the stock grill. Then use a flat head to pop up the black gourmets that are also on top of the grill. The grill will pull straight up and now that is out of the way start removing all fasteners and 10 mm bolts that are attached to the headlights and grill. You can avoid lowering the bumper which is a PITA and get to the last headlight bolts from under the truck. You need to reach up and get the last bolt with a 10mm wrench

Now you are ready to crack open the housing
- Remove all of the bulbs, plastic caps, and rubber housing behind the H4 bulb, and the 3 hex screws.

- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees

- before putting in the head light TURN OFF OVEN

-DO NOT put headlight directly on top of the oven shelf, place the headlight onto a piece of cardboard.

- take it out after 6 min and then start to work the cover off with a flat head screw driver. As a tip start at one end and then use your hands to open the headlight because if a Screw driver is used harshly you will see the marks.

- when the headlight is out of the oven set the temp to 450, because you might have to do this more than once to get the whole head light off

- if the cover is not completely off, TURN OFF the oven again and cook it for another 2 minutes. REPEAT until complete

Now that you have the headlight open you will need to place the lens on a soft surface to make sure you don’t scratch it up. Now that you have the lens face down remove the 2 Hex screws to gain access to the orange reflectors. Now simply remove the orange and yellow reflectors and start putting the housings back together.

(note) make sure you clean all the parts well before putting everything back together because no one likes finger prints, and trust me they will show.
(Tip) Goo B Gone works great on removing the caulking from the lens if you get smears.

Ok now that you have reassembled the headlight throw it back in the over (450 degrees) and let sit for 2 min. This will allow you to press the housing back together and still reuse the factory caulking. Then
let sit and after about 10 min and the housing is cool apply GE Silicone 2 for windows and doors around the seems. Now simply re assemble the Headlight onto the truck and you’re done.
You can also use the Nissan culking which is nice because you can remove it. It will set you back around $40

Also a Big thanks to Eyeven for the help and pics. Also jason throw this in the tech section

·
Registered
123 Posts
Its called butyl rubber (from Nissan) and its like 17 bucks shipped

Here is a link to where you can buy butyl rubber
http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=153_306&products_id=766

DO NOT mistake this butyl rubber from the ones that you can find like at home depot. This stuff is OEM that they use to seal up head / tail lights. The other kind will melt and get all mushy in the sun like the stuff that you find on old windows

You also forgot to show the money shot

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
As a tip start at one end and then use your hands to open the headlight because if a Screw driver is used harshly you will see the marks.
it would be best to start with the screwdriver on the bottom so you wont see those ugly marks.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a tip start at one end and then use your hands to open the headlight because if a Screw driver is used harshly you will see the marks.
it would be best to start with the screwdriver on the bottom so you wont see those ugly marks.
When you throw that in the tech section go ahead and incert that. I have no screw driver marks

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
do you have to take the headlight apart to remove that lens in the turn signal also...or is it just like a film that will peel off and pull out

·
Registered
123 Posts
do you have to take the headlight apart to remove that lens in the turn signal also...or is it just like a film that will peel off and pull out
to get to anything inside you have to take the headlight apart

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
BAHHHH....I guess I am not gettng anything out of my headlights

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should do this mod for others. Like Ship us youre completed lights, and we'll ship you ours as a core exchange...

I want to do this so I can paint the headlights black (except the reflector bowl), but dont have the balls to...plus I cant go without headlights.

Turns out my Nissan Cima Projector Conversion would end up costing around $2500...which is $2400 more than I have right now...

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
You should do this mod for others. Like Ship us youre completed lights, and we'll ship you ours as a core exchange...

I want to do this so I can paint the headlights black (except the reflector bowl), but dont have the balls to...plus I cant go without headlights.

Turns out my Nissan Cima Projector Conversion would end up costing around $2500...which is $2400 more than I have right now...
here is the projectors for less than half of that web page

·
Registered
533 Posts
BAHHHH....I guess I am not gettng anything out of my headlights
Me neither. I can't really do this mod. I have the mechanical knowledge, but bad luck follows me like a cat, and I can't risk messing up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think that most guys would do it in a heartbeat if they had someone with experience helping them. I know I would. And we're not [censored]'s damnit!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts