Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know for sure I am going to get flamed on this one. But I don't care, I like a good looking engine bay! :shrug:
I am just curious of the different things people do to make their engine bay look cleaner, how much it approximately is costing you, and also if its practical or not.

IDEAS SO FAR-
1) I plan on ditching the charcoal canister...not sure on practicality as of yet.
2) More out of function then anything, I was wondering if anyone had moved the engine wiring (circled in green) behind the firewall.
I just don't like how close it is to the downpipe... and how ugly it is!
3) I think fuse box relocation is out of the question for now... too much time and money for what its worth...
4) battery relocation seems to be more form over function... (don't want to have to pop my topper to get a boost)... but I'm sure I could be convinced on this one.
5)?? Would it look weird to paint the inside of the engine bay (fender tops and firewall) black... just wondering if anyone has done this or if it would even look good.
6) ...
7)...
8)...
9)...

Please List pics or any ideas you have about sexy engine bays in general!
Thanks guys

·
Read Only
819 Posts
My truck is a 2001 3.4L V6 5VZ-FE & I take it usually twice a year & sometimes more if it's dirty to a car wash where they have some stalls with a power washer & also it has a selector to select engine cleaner, spray wash, soap & etc. & I clean it real good & then on the K&N cold air intake I use a soft cotton towel to remove the water spots on it. As you can see under my hood is pretty clean & I think it looks orderly too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My truck is a 2001 3.4L V6 5VZ-FE & I take it usually twice a year & sometimes more if it's dirty to a car wash where they have some stalls with a power washer & also it has a selector to select engine cleaner, spray wash, soap & etc. & I clean it real good & then on the K&N cold air intake I use a soft cotton towel to remove the water spots on it. As you can see under my hood is pretty clean & I think it looks orderly too.
I like it! Nice work. Definitely one of the nicest bays I've seen!

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mjbtaco is doing.a wire tuck on his engine compartment..
Ya, I thought that too... just can't find it anywhere. I can only find where he relocated his battery and his fusebox...

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Ya, I thought that too... just can't find it anywhere. I can only find where he relocated his battery and his fusebox...
mite be easier to make some covers for the emissions stuff, paint them to match the intake..

trailer fender the inners, paint them..

How serious are you about the engine compartment being "just the engine"

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mite be easier to make some covers for the emissions stuff, paint them to match the intake..

trailer fender the inners, paint them..

How serious are you about the engine compartment being "just the engine"
Ya I'm up for covers only, I don't need it to be "engine only" I just want it to look good.
How do I go about making covers? Fiberglass? Something else.... I've seen nice covers on compartments at car shows...

Anyone know what's best?

·
Read Only
819 Posts
I think that it makes it look cheap & cheesy. What I'd probably do is take the time to remove as many parts that I could without too much trouble & then tape & paper up everything else that I didn't want paint to get on & then I'd paint the inside fenders & firewall a color that would compliment the engine components & that choice would be up to you & maybe the original color of your truck might work & if you have the time & money it would really be good if you could remove the engine & then have the inside sandblasted & then prime & paint all of the inside. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

It takes alot of time and patience, but covers are the way to go. Build them out of thin cardboard, cutting and trimming, fabricate mounting tabs, use Zeus clips for simple removal, you can make the final product out of sheet aluminum or sheet metal painted to match.

Attachments

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
I don't think any of that is worth it..

I say detail the balls out of the engine compartment and call it done..

If its something that can be painted, go with satin black for all oem parts..

I'd shorten up that oil feed line, shorten up all vacuum lines, maybe mount that amp fuse out of the way so you don't see it,
make some sort of radiator cover that the radiator cap, overflow cap and windshield filler deal peaks through.

you have far more skills on photoshop than I do..

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I don't think any of that is worth it..

I say detail the balls out of the engine compartment and call it done..

If its something that can be painted, go with satin black for all oem parts..
Agreed... that is all i'm doing with mine...
wire tuck is nice but... lots of work... wouldn't really work on my 3.4 anyways...

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you cant hide the ugly hoses... make the ugly hoses look good!

I think I'm gona get one of these braided kits for the wiring harness, vacuum lines and coolant lines.

Anybody done this before? Does it work pretty good?

·
Low & Slow
4,298 Posts
relocating the stuff in the engine bay is really not expensive, its just time consuming. heres a pic of my dirty engine bay that still needs a litte bit of paint.

yeah its a horrible picture i know. but this is kind of "extreme" for a tacoma. and the only reason i did any of this stuff is because i no longer daily drive the truck. i also had to relocate the battery because its so low.

things that are gone: all egr crap, charcoal canister, cruise control stuff, ac, im sure other stuff is gone too just cant think of it now.

relocated crap: battery to the bed, fuse box to the glove box. think thats it

also the trailer fenders give it a "cleaner" look. in the end its a ton of work just to make it look pretty.

·
Registered
2020 TRD OFFROAD
23 Posts
I know for sure I am going to get flamed on this one. But I don't care, I like a good looking engine bay! 🤷
I am just curious of the different things people do to make their engine bay look cleaner, how much it approximately is costing you, and also if its practical or not.

IDEAS SO FAR-
1) I plan on ditching the charcoal canister...not sure on practicality as of yet.
2) More out of function then anything, I was wondering if anyone had moved the engine wiring (circled in green) behind the firewall.
I just don't like how close it is to the downpipe... and how ugly it is!
3) I think fuse box relocation is out of the question for now... too much time and money for what its worth...
4) battery relocation seems to be more form over function... (don't want to have to pop my topper to get a boost)... but I'm sure I could be convinced on this one.
5)?? Would it look weird to paint the inside of the engine bay (fender tops and firewall) black... just wondering if anyone has done this or if it would even look good.
6) ...
7)...
8)...
9)...

Please List pics or any ideas you have about sexy engine bays in general!
Thanks guys
I painted mine. 1st I had to learn how to paint plastic with proper paint and then experimented and stretched my abilities and I ended up after a few months of testing working and thinking and ordering more stuff I created some unique effects personally that I doubt people will go through the trouble to duplicate. And a lots of kids think metal flake is glitter apparently. I have a light strip that comes on when the hood opens and it's showtime. The black parts change through the rainbow depending on the angle otherwise it appears black. I call it "black opal metallic. 8
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper
Light Red Gas Office supplies Electric blue
Plant Loom Wood Art Tool
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Sleeve Automotive design
Hood Light Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2020 TRD OFFROAD
23 Posts
I painted mine. 1st I had to learn how to paint plastic with proper paint and then experimented and stretched my abilities and I ended up after a few months of testing working and thinking and ordering more stuff I created some unique effects personally that I doubt people will go through the trouble to duplicate. And a lots of kids think metal flake is glitter apparently. I have a light strip that comes on when the hood opens and it's showtime. The black parts change through the rainbow depending on the angle otherwise it appears black. I call it "black opal metallic. 8 View attachment 135999 View attachment 136000 View attachment 136001 View attachment 136002 View attachment 136003 View attachment 136004
I dont know if I'll be much help as I have the V6 snd all. Cool turbo 4?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts