Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the pros and cons of a circuit breaker apposed to an inline fuse?
i understand that a circuit breaker can be reset and fused must be replaced, but is there anything else? like resistance or .....

· Registered
114 Posts
Mostly just ease of use.... I prefer to use a circuit breaker myself, it makes it easier to work on your system if needed. Fuses will be cheaper obviously, but it will basically be personal preference. As far as resistance or the like, there will be no difference between the two for your application.

· www.LiquidAss.com
3,351 Posts
Reliability: In my opinion and from my experience, circuit breakers are less reliable than fuses (especially when the breaker is mounted in the harsh environment under the hood). Quality fuses like ANL and Maxi fuses have a solid element (no solder connections) and will almost never have an intermittent or poor electrical connection. A circuit breaker will eventually have higher contact resistance than when it was new. This is especially true if the breaker has been tripped (by overcurrent) more than a few times. If you're going to compete and can't take a chance of having a problem like a bad connection in the power line, you should use a good quality fuse. Now I know that people have had fuses blow in competition but it was because the fuse was not properly rated, not because the fuse was defective. For those who have had trouble with glass fuses, read the fuses page of this site.

Source: www.bcae1.com under fuses and under circuit breakers.

· www.LiquidAss.com
3,351 Posts
150 is too high, and you'll do some damage before the fuse blows. I have to look at JL's specs. If it's 500x1... thats about a 50 amp fuse.

How are you going to wire this?

One main fused power wire (0 gauge I hope) to the back with a distribution block and some 4 gauge or w/e from the block to the amps with smaller fuses (amp specific) in between the black and the amps for a total of three fuses?
Or maybe you can run two fused 4 gauge (or w/e JL's amps can accept) to the back for each amp.

EDIT:
Fuses... VERY cheap insurance. Never use a bigger fuse than needed.

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not yet just getting ideas, but i was thinking a 2 guage wire to a fused dist block to send 4 guage to each amp. ill have to read the specs but im sure a 100A should work, but i was thiniking 150 for less resistance. thx for all the replys

· Stop Staring
6,005 Posts
fuses all the way. i used circuit breakers once and never will again. a fuse will almost never fail, circuit breakers on the other hand can corrode or rust and get stuck in the position theyre in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.