Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is a very specific question, but do y'all know how many of the Gen 1 tacomas had those nice chrome fenders flares over the wheel well and some did not? I'm wondering if it's possible to add those. Would that be a hard or stupid thing to do? I just really really like the look of them, and the Tacoma I'm about to buy doesn't have them.

Thanks,
Will

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Are you talking about:

(a) actual chromed or chrome-look full fender flares (on a 4X4, PreRunner, or S-Runner)
OR
(b) a thin chrome molding that runs around the rim of the fender opening?

Version (a) never existed as a factory option from 1995.5 through 2004. I'm sure of that ...

Version (b) might have existed as a factory option. There was such a thing as an optional "Chrome Package" available from as early as '97 onward (I don't have documentation on earlier years) that included chrome grille, bumpers and "trim." I don't know whether the "trim" included chrome fender rim moldings.

This Chrome Package was bundled with certain other factory packages (e.g., the Limited Package).

The only wheel opening moldings and flares listed in the factory parts listings were either black or paint-to-match (both front and rear; all years 1995.5 - 2004).

One more thing ... Certain Toyota sales regions - especially in the South and Southwest - offered special packages or accessorized models. Some high-volume dealerships also offered their own custom packages. These region- and dealer-specific packages weren't factory equipped. I suppose it's possible chrome full fender flares might have been included in one of these localized packages.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Are these the fender liners or flares you're referring to?

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Cloud

I found this 1996 5-lug XtraCab for sale in Kansas. The flares / liners do appear to be chrome. Those aren't factory issue. However ...

The tailgate decal on this '96 identifies it as an LX. The "LX" wasn't a factory model, package or trim. It was one of those regional variants I mentioned that used port- or dealer-installed goodies. Those look like the thinner liners / flares that would later appear on the PreRunner (1998 and onward) and S-Runner (2001 - 2004).

My first guess is that these chrome flares were sourced from one of the aftermarket accessory manufacturers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts