Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 968 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've chose to conserve fuel to the extreme and I've drastically
changed my driving habits to get the most mileage from my fuel..

Goal:
To consume as little fuel as possible and to reach
the 400 mile mark BEFORE the gas light turns on.

The only way I know to document gas milage as I go is to periodiacally snap off a picture every so oftin during the duration of the day driving.
I'd love to do some sort of time lapse video, but I have no clue how to do that..

My driving is roughly 40% city and 60% highway.

Yesterday (02-28-08)

I filled up just as the gas light came on as I was waiting for an open pump..
I was able to pull off 372 miles until the gas light came on.. Awesome! :)

I tweeked the lever till I was at a nice even number..
I think it was at $45.60 something.

And from there I drove for 36 miles from work to home

Today (02-29-08)
picture fuel/milage log..

and now I'm home..

I'll be doing a little in town driving later on tonight, I'll snap as I go.. :waytogo:

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
I had the oil changed and I put a new air filter in and since then my gas mileage has gone to sh!t. I filled up the tank twice since then, both times at the same gas station and they are replacing the tanks in that station now so I'm hoping it was just bad gas. I am in the process of running all the gas out now and will start a log then.

I'd LOVE to get 400 miles to a tank, but don't really think so.

·
Registered
816 Posts
55 mph on the freeway...? is that even legal??:shrug:
its really funny how people in different parts of the country will actually go the speedlimit on the interstate. around here the limit is 55 but if your going under 65 your a$$ is get run the hell over!

my truck is kinda strange some tanks are way better than others. the one im on now is gonna suck.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
im not as in awe of the trip odo as i am of the fuel light.........

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tonites bit of in town driving..

parked for the night..

You'd be suprised how smooth you flow at 55mph..
I'm all over my mirrors, believe that!

On the way home from work, I didn't touch my cruise control or brakes once.
400miles is going to happen..

If I can achieve this, I'll do a right up on what I did to accomplish this.
I'll have to shoot a video of what the drives like in California @ 55mph on the freeway ;)

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
tonites bit of in town driving..

parked for the night..

You'd be suprised how smooth you flow at 55mph..
I'm all over my mirrors, believe that!

On the way home from work, I didn't touch my cruise control or brakes once.
400miles is going to happen..

If I can achieve this, I'll do a right up on what I did to accomplish this.
I'll have to shoot a video of what the drives like in California @ 55mph on the freeway ;)
thats what im sayin though...not that driving 55mph is illegal, but you have to drive at a safe speed up to 65mph. i just did traffic school and i could have sworn the instructor said that you can get ticketed at low speeds, especially if you're causing a bottleneck.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
thats what im sayin though...not that driving 55mph is illegal, but you have to drive at a safe speed up to 65mph. i just did traffic school and i could have sworn the instructor said that you can get ticketed at low speeds, especially if you're causing a bottleneck.

True story - going too slow is just as bad as going to fast. I don't think you'll get a ticket for 55 as long as you're in a slow lane, though. Probably have to be going more like 45 to be ticket worthy.

You sunshine boys (aka California) must haul ass on the interstate. I mean Knoxville traffic moves pretty quick but you can easily go 60 or 65 and not really get run over (it depends on what time of day, too). It would drive me insane to have to do 70 everywhere I went:eyecrazy:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
my speed days are over....why do you think i switched to a tacoma..:D

when im driving my subie i'm keeping the revs low and setting the cruise at 65. gotta say though, sucks being passed and dogged at by big rig truck drivers..

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
haha go fo it chris, i get nervous below 1/4, my best is probally 354 on 14.2 gallons... that is fill up at abou 1/4 tank....

and u all know they are four lanes that are all 55 if u ever been to kentucky that whole state is about 55 mph..

·
Low & Slow
4,298 Posts
dudei get only 50 miles to a quarter of my tank
:brickknoc:brickknoc

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll tell you this, the trucks computer learns..

I've been doing this for about 3 tanks worth of driving and it just keeps getting better and better, you have to stay consistant.

Tillers, you weren't filling up when the tanker was filling the station, were you?
I've noticed bad gas mileage on a tank that was filled when the station was being filled..

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Todays log.. 01-01-08

Went through some foot hills today with some pretty steep climbs..
This mite make a little dent in what I've got goin for my 400 goal.. well see..

None of this was done all in one shot, had a few stop overs, it cooled off,
the engine was cold started a few times where the temp guage was back to cold. So it wasn't straight through non stop driving..

I did about 40% city and 60% highway all in all...

starting back where we left off.. from the first pic to the second, notice the guage movement..
I only let it warm up for about a minute, usually I do it for about 3 minutes..
Once its upto operating tempuature, thats where the good milage begins..

and I think thats it for the night, parked.

1 - 20 of 968 Posts