Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Glen, can you help me out on the leaf spring deal..

did you just bolt on the 4x4 leafs without checking which side was which?
Does your truck lean one way or another or pretty level?
I've got my set and I think their side specific and wanted to throw this at ya..

I'm thinking that the one with the most arch would more than likely go on the drivers side to make up for the weight of gas tank/driver/battery, ect..

I'm installing mine on Sunday.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1065707

thoughts or guidence?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
if there used the one with less arch was prolly on the heavy side (tank battery fat a$$) if not then maybe they are specific that just seems weird :thinking: well my fabtech coils were side specific so maybe your right...

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,661 Posts
According to the 2001 - 2004 Parts List in the Tech section ...

With one exception (described below) the OEM leaf sets are differentiated (by part numbers) for left and right sides.

The RIGHT side part numbers all begin with 48210
The LEFT side part numbers all begin with 48220

The exception is a single set of 'Heavy Duty' leafs listed for Regular Cab / XtraCab PreRunners and 4X4's only (not Double Cabs; not 2WD 'mini' models or SR's).

The single part number for both heavy-duty leafs is 48210 - 04340.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
I think I'm going to swap my overloads over to the 4x4 leafs as well, I'll mark everything as I go..

sence the 4x4 has 4 leafs, I could mix and match to get the desired drop..
I'd imagine that the way the 2wd mini owners get their cheap drop by removing 1 of the 3 leafs, using a 4x4 leaf pack would be better because they have 4 leafs and their almost 2" lower stock than the mini's, so removing 1 of the 4 from the 4x4 pack could yeild 3 - 4" drop...

the name of the game for me is eliminating the need for blocks.. :waytogo:

Hey Randy, I guess you got my email? :D
thanks for the help guys

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,661 Posts
... Hey Randy, I guess you got my email? :D
Yes ... My best advice is to check the Parts List for specific numbers.

I'm not sure the amount of arch is an indicator of which leaf is left-side and which is right-side. On the one hand, more arch might mean the leaf designed to handle more weight (left-side). On the other hand, it might be the leaf that's carried the lesser amount of weight (right-side). :shrug:

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to add to this to further help others on the prerunner/4x4 leaf setup..
the above picture had too much height for me, so I played around with it (the leafs) ;)

This is how I desided which leaf I was to use for the drivers side to combat the lean..

You basically set the leafs on the ground so that the rounded part sticks upward and the bushings are against the ground..

the one that sticks up the highest is going on your drivers side because it
has more arch to combat the lean from all the weight being on the drivers side..
(in this case, left leaf goes on drivers side)

This is my 3" drop reciept (no blocks)
I removed 1 leaf from the prerunner/4x4 pack and that leaves me with 1 main leaf, one middle leaf and I'm using my mini's stock overload..(in the unhappy position)
end result:

You can get a 3.5 to 4" drop depending on the condition of the leafs by using the prerunner/4x4's overload insted of the mini's.. (picture below)
I experimented and did just that, but it was too low for my taste..

I still had a bit of lean due to my 2" belltech drop springs..
this is how I delt with that.. skip down to post #8, everything I thought of before that was bunk..

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112932

if you have any additional questions, tag it up! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just so i understand, 4X4 leafs let you go lower? Do you still need to pull the middle leaf and flip the overload? Does this get me the same drop as a 2 wheel drive with the middle leaf pulled ,3 in block and ,flipped overload. What would be the advantage of doing this? how much are the 4x4 leafs? sorry for all th Questions.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
so i can still get a 7" drop using these with a 3" blocks?, kinda wanna do this cus i didnt wanna keep my 4" blocks plus i need new leafs :runaway:

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Toward the end of this thread he was talking about looking to see which leaf sits higher and using that one on the drivers side to combat the Taco lean.. And yes, the 4x4 leafs are side specific. It goes like this. I believe that the 2nd part of the #'s is the year (04) and can be different on different leaf packs, but the first section should be close to what I have here... ( I think ) at least the 220 and 210 part if I remember correctly. I called 2 different Toyota dealers about these #'s mine had and this is what I got, these were my #'s. If you have 4x4 leafs that still have the #'s painted on them, they should be similar to these. These #'s I show colored & in bold were the same on my 04 pair and another persons 04 pair, the non colored and non bold #'s were different...... both from 04 4x4's. And thanks Chris D for your research on this subject, it's important, especially now that these are going on the "high in demand" list due to Chassistech not selling drop leafs anymore. :doah:

bold type = side
blue
= year ( I believe )

48220 - 04150 (L)
48210 - 04360 (R)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Bringing back to life.......

I'm assuming shorter shocks are needed to perform this mod with lower leafs right?

Whats recommended?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
i think most people are running stock length shocks. i'm running gas-a-justs in the back, and i know beefed is running monomax's. we're both on 4x4 leafs.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It dont make sense to me since you will need to compress shock if you are going from blocks to leafs.

Right?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
the piston is still pretty close to the middle of the shock body with the 2.5-3" drop. i've never bottomed out the rear shocks and i still have 5-6" of travel in the rear with my notch. i didn't want to spend the time looking through the kyb catalog for a 3" shorter shock. stock length works fine for me.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Ok cool, was debating the mod. I have a set of 04 TRD leafs and new kyb monomax shocks sitting in the garage. I might as well go for it.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
are you going to run them as is or pull a leaf? if you have 4" blocks i would leave them as is to keep the firmness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts