Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a chip something worth buying? Does it give you noticeable power? or are you better off buying something else?

·
Registered
311 Posts
not sure how much power gain this would get you, I do know that you have to remove the computer and send it away to have the chip installed, layup of a couple of weeks I think.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You might be better off getting an intake and exhaust for more HP. If you chip your truck, you must run premium gas. I have heard that the HP gain can be as much as 25%, but i'm not exactly sure how much for Tacoma.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know about for the late-model 4 cyl. Tacos, but for the V-6, supposedly the ECU mod is practically useless. You can't just plug in a chip on them anyway; the ECU must have an additional board installed, that would then accept a replacable chip. I also think you'd be better off with a modded intake & exhaust. If you've got a late model 2.7 or 3.4, you might want to check out the TRD blowers...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Actually if you have a taco, up to 96' then you can/ and I suggest do, chip it. It is definitely a worth while cost, and the hp gains are great! But from 97' on is when toyota started using the obd 2 ecu's (engine controll unit's) and unfortunately, they cannot be chipped for performance yet. If u still are unclear, hit me up.

·
Registered
760 Posts
here's the deal with chips, they are pretty pricey but i think is worth every penny. i got a jet chip, for $400.00 the software upgrade added 10-13 more ponys, improved my acceleration and added more torque. it also made my rev limiter higher, your taco will be out of comission for 4 days, thats the only down fall. i got mines from performance products. call them up for a free catalog they got a 130 page catalog they made just for us taco lovers. heres there number 1-800-553-2840

·
Registered
760 Posts
its not hard at all just take out your control unit. when you buy it they will send you a empty box for the unit, you ship it to them in the prepaid box when they get it they will install your chip for you. turn around time takes about 3-4 days, the reason your truck will be out during that time is simple, no ECU no start. hope this helps

·
Registered
149 Posts
The truck will be layed up for 4 days because you have to remove the ecu and send it to JET. They will install the new chip but you need to let them know if you have any modifications done to the truck already( intake, exhaust) so they can set up the ecu to get optimum performance with the mod's. I think the chip is the last thing you should do to get the most bennefit from it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
snag up your basic intake, headers, exhaust and their pair it with an apex'i air fuel controller, or their rpm processor thingie, my friend is running it with no problems, + it takes off his mph limiter : ).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally I think most chips are a waste of money, at least for a tacoma. When you have a factory turbo car like a VW 1.8T then a chip can do things like raise the turbo boost and increase the fuel, which obviously will make more power.

All a chip can do for a taco is advance the ignition timing and play with the fuel maps. Doing this will result in little or no gain on a stock or modified tacoma. If your tacoma is modified enough to require more fuel than getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel is the best idea.

I challenge anyone to produce dyno charts showing a before and after horsepower gain from a chip on a tacoma. Any dyno charts from a company selling a chip are NOT valid, regardless of what they promise you. A car "feeling" faster is not enough proof to justify the purchase of a chip. The $400 someone would spend on a chip would be better off going towards an exhuast, headers, etc.

All of these things I am talking about are from experience watching countless cars dynoed at my friends shop JG/Edelbrock (formerly JG engine dynamics in Alhambra, CA). I have spent years hanging out there and all I am trying to do is save some people from spending their hard earned money on a part that is NOT worth the money.

Glenn

Glenn's Honda Civic Performance Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~akuma/cars.htm

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chips have been dyno-ed and prove to be a waste of $400. Noone make a chip for a Taco, except JET. This JET chip has been proven to give NO GAINS WHATSOEVER. No other manufacturers produce chips for our motors because of the factory ECU, and emissions.

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
E.L. Prototypes makes ECU upgrades for to the Tacoma.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts