Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my checkmate lid and shocks. Looks nice and the ride smoothed out ALOT. Thanks for all the advice from everybody. i'll post some pics as soon as i get some decent ones.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it took about 1.5-2 hours to install the shocks and about an hour to install the lid. yeah...i have the right drill bits and everything else i needed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the lid was $299 plus $64 for shipping. the shocks $129 (all four) plus $13 for shipping.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Why did he get 4 shocks?. ...... last time i checked trucks had 4 tires... but thats just me now.. maybe things have changed..

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
I think he thought the guy was gettnig 4 shocks for the bed cover. It comes with 2 shocks to hold it up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ahh... weird question, do they make any tonneau's that open up sideways? like from drivers side to passenger side?

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
I don't know of any that are made that way, but with some minor work, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh...sorry guys...i didn't mean to confuse anybody. the shocks were for the suspension to smooth out the ride. i got a set of 4 toxic shocks. 2 for the front and 2 for the back. the lid was...just a lid basically. i wanted the back to be covered. is it true that the lid saves gas? i dunno...thats what i've heard. it looks better with the lid anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
I recently read a study by an aerodynamic research firm showing that you get less drag with your tailgate up than you do with it down or with a net on it, apparently the air inside the bed just kinda swirls around in it's own little pocket causing air coming from over the cab to hit that air pocket and pretty much go right over the bed, I'm sure you've seen things just kinda blowing around in circles in the bed and never really going anywhere....but that with the gate down or off there is a steep drop from the cab to the bed floor, causing a lot of back drag. The cover will obviously do approx the same thing as the airpocket you get with your gate up, only better since it's actually there, not just air. Less drag=better fuel efficiency. Can't wait to get mine ordered and flip my tailgate handle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
do you have a website for them by any chance???? the research study just wondering sounds like interesting info...i also need to save money so i can get a damn cover

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Nah, didn't save it anywhere, just came across it cruising around online one day, it was a pretty interesting article...basically one of the guys at the firm just decided to physically test this to answer for sure if it hepled or not to have the gate down, they said they were surprised by the results, but tests definatly indicated less drag with the gate up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I read something like that too, can't remember where either, but the air flows over the cab and creates a "pocket" of air in the bed which reduces turbulence, and therefore less drag.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Yeah, I saw it on the news. And again in some little newsletter thing they put out at work about carpooling, walking, saving gas, etc. Makes sense if you think about it because if you have some trash back there it'll swirl around for quite awhile before it actually flies out (if it does at all.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts