Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I already got a problem, lol.

I've recently acquired a 1999 Toyota Tacoma; Its been running perfectly until I was driving home last night. The check engine light came on. I drove home, noticed nothing out of the ordinary, today I went to a local Advanced Auto and they hooked their scanner up to it.

P0440 - EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction

That's what the scanner spit out; okay I am an idiot when it comes to vehicles so what does that mean? What might be broken?

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
fill out your profile- do you have a four banger? or six... because you may have a bad egr, or a bad sensor... all which can be fixed for about 10 cents...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I guess that information would've been useful :) Its a 4 cylinder, 4x4. Another piece of information: when light first came on I immediately thought gas cap... so I checked it, the rubber gasket wasn't positioned correctly and I corrected that. Today I checked that again and today I heard the vacuum sound when I opened it (ya know, that "woosh" sound), I didn't hear that last night.

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
So it's an EGR failure... two ways to fix it... there is a sensor the threads into the intake manifold at the collector- you can replace that guy, or you can pick up a 10k ohm resistor for about a dime. at radio shack- you'll disconnect the sensor, and plug the resistor into the connection, the ECU will think the egr is functioning properly and say good by to the CE light!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Racer_X said:
So it's an EGR failure... two ways to fix it... there is a sensor the threads into the intake manifold at the collector- you can replace that guy, or you can pick up a 10k ohm resistor for about a dime. at radio shack- you'll disconnect the sensor, and plug the resistor into the connection, the ECU will think the egr is functioning properly and say good by to the CE light!
P0440 is an evap. code, not egr

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
code P0440 indicates a leak on the fuel tank side of the evap. system. This includes the fuel tank, fuel cap, and the lines between the tank and canister, and canister itself.

When the vapor pressure sensor is measuring tank pressure, the ECM is observing changes in pressure and comparing tank pressure to atmospheric pressure. No difference in pressure indicates a leak and throws this code.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
hey i think toyota has a recall regarding his problem...its on most toyotas evap system i think. google around you might find a free dealership fix :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
tacoyota said:
hey i think toyota has a recall regarding his problem...its on most toyotas evap system i think. google around you might find a free dealership fix :D
There isn't a recall for this. Bt there might be a TSB with an updated part number for the Evap Valve.

If you think it was the gas cap seal, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, If the problem is still there it will come back on in a day or so.

To the guy that said its an EGR problem:badidea:

·
Registered
220 Posts
He already answered the problem, he said the gasket was not sealed on the gas cap.

So disconnect either the EFI fuse for a few min or use that scan tool you used to get the code to erase it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts