Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting the EL prototypes turbo kit on my truck and every thing seemed to go fine. But the first time the turbo started to boost a check engine light came on and made the truck run all funky. I reset the computer and cleared the code but the same thing happened again. For anyone who has done the kit before, do you have any idea what the problem might be?

·
Registered
760 Posts
hey andre, maybe you would know...is a turbo, smog legal in the state of calrornia? this smog crap here is stoopid. in hawaii you can run side draft's, radical cams or what ever you want.

D

·
0 Posts
All the vaccum lines are hooked up right, I'm wondering if it is the knock senor. Because when the check engine light comes on the ingintion is retared by the computer automatically. Thing is i thought i heard a little denonation on the first drive under full power, then the light popped on. At home I lowered the boost and pulled the negative cable on the battery to clear the computer. HUH, does the '97 have an OBD I or OBD II? If so maybe I fixed the problem but the code needs to be cleared with a scan tool. PLEASE let me know what you guys think.

D

·
0 Posts
I had a similar problem with my turbo honda after installing an aftermarket fuel pump. Your taco's ecu sounds like its going into limp home mode which does retard the ignition.

Does your kit have a check valve or electronic box setup? Whichever you have it sounds like this could be the problem. When your engine sees boost it is probably tripping out and going into limp home mode. The check valves or ecu supplied with the turbo kit are supposed to prevent this from happening. Carefully recheck the wiring/check valve setup. If everything looks allright you call El.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They do supply a valve that goes from the piping before the turbo onto the throttle body. The valve lets air only go one way, could this be a check valve?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just checked the valve and the air is flowing in the right way written in the instruction manual. I think what the problem is that the knock sensor caught some denoation and spent the ecu in limp mode and now I need a mechanic with a scan tool to clear the ecu of the code. I also lowered the boost so if this is the problem it will be less likely to happen again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can clear the code your self .....disconnect the battery (- and +) for about fifteen min the start the truck and let it idoll for 30min . then go out and push on it . I did this with mine ..work ok (lc turbo)

·
Registered
282 Posts
ELP kit comes with a boost controller?

·
Good Fuel Mileage Truck
1,416 Posts
I have reset mine just like that and now the truck is still running funky just like Beezer's, even after reset. The code I had was for the EGR valve. It must be sticking. ? I'm having a lot of black soot build up on my exhaust tips now. I wonder if the EGR valve messing up will cause a rich condition or if the timing is retarded to make this excess carbon problem?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The code that I got was for the O2 sensor. I bought a new one att he dealer nd haven't had the problem since. I have alot of black soot too come out the exhaust when I really get on it. Go figure I guess that what you get when you turbo and car not originally ment to me turboed. But I haven't had any problems with the EGR valve yet. Did ELP put the kit in for you, also did they warn you about anything going wrong. Because they hold everything was cool with the kit and now I have replaced my knock sensor, O2 sensor, and the intercooler is in the works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts