Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently the center console in my truck, 1997 toyota tacoma 2wd, only goes up to the end of the front seats, but does not go further to around the shifter. Is there a part from another truck that I can add, tired of looking at carpet around the shifter. Or should I find another truck such as new tacomas or from 4runners that would be a better option.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,592 Posts
According to my parts lists ...

There was no shifter-surrounding or forward console piece for 1995.5 - 1997 2WD Tacos.

There was a shifter-surrounding forward console piece for 1995.5 - 1997 4WD Tacos, as illustrated in the first pic.

There were forward tray consoles for 1998 - 2000 2WD consoles, as illustrated in the second pic.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,592 Posts
The 2001 - 2004 Tacos introduced a rubber shifter boot for the manual floor shifter.

The 01 - 04 Tacos had the same sort of forward tray consoles illustrated above for the 98 - 00 models.

However ...

The interior trim colors changed as of the 2001 model year, with 'blue / gray' being replaced by 'charcoal'.

Bottom Line:

If you just want to fill the space between the rear console and the shifter, I'd suggest looking for a 98 - 00 2WD forward tray console.

You may have to drill the mounting holes in the center hump to install it.

Also ... Note that there are 1 to 3 brackets (plus maybe a cup holder piece) you'd need to have, depending on whether it's a manual or automatic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help, this weekend going to the local pick n pull and find one hopefully in the same color as my interior.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,592 Posts
Bullet66x:

That appears to be a 2001 - 2004 2WD forward console for a manual transmission.

In principle, it's possible to transplant the '01-'04 version into your '95.5-'97. You may have to do some trimming or tweaking, because the parts diagrams show the forward consoles' lower contours aren't exactly the same.

The cab - including floorpan - was re-designed as of 2001, and I suspect the details of the floor / hump contours are slightly different from earlier models.

I'm not certain which, or how many, of the '01-'04 mounting brackets you'll need to have.

I suspect you may need a new shifter boot before it's over ...

One thing to bear in mind ... If you want to add anything in addition to the forward console, you'll need to use '01-'04 components to make them mate up with the forward console unit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks man
yes all i plan on using is the bezel and the boot
Im tired of having to hold my big coffee cup because it wont fit in the stock cup holders in my 96
It looks jus like the stock one out of a 96 4wd but was jus curious if anyone had tried it before i spent the money

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a update, I am in the process of building the center console for the truck. Here is what has happened so far, still need to do the filler, sanding and painting and then I will be done.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts