Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, there's been a rash of cat-burgalers in my town lately, so Taco owners beware. It's a growing nationwide problem.

Has anyone ever heard of this company? www.catclamp.com

They make a clamp that bolts to the frame with airplane cable and basically, makes the cat harder to remove.

Has anyone used this kind of anti-theft device yet?

Does anyone know of any other devices?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Just get bags, when you're layin frame they can't even come close:evil:

But I can't really see that as being a huge problem if someone wants the cat. It's kind of like the club, just a visual deterrent cause if you want it off its easy to remove.

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Ok, my opinion.. If the would be thieves come prepared to cut off your cat in the first place. Don't you think that they could just as easily cut the cable that goes around the frame? Most piping in front of the cats are stainless so, its not like their sawzalls are not equipped.. I think its yet another company preying on the unknowledgeable consumer..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! Thnaks guys for the input, but as you can see, I'm not able to lower my taco on command---unless I remove the wheels...

They say that it's fairly difficult to cut thru the cables, & I'm not sure about that myself, but hell.. if they have to wrestle the thing to get it outta there, at least I'd have the motion alarm go off???

I just REALLY want SOMEthing to prevent this.. Or at least make em' bleed a little bit...Our tacos are sitting ducks waiting for this to happen...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep.. I was thinkin' the same thing... they claim that the airplane cables are "more" difficult to cut through, but... this is why I'm on this site. Thanks for the input. Anyone else??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right.. I don't NEED a cat... But if I wanna keep the environmentalist wackos here in california happy, I HAFTA have a cat... Otherwise they fine the hell out of me...:looney:

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
Put a grenade in your catalytic converter and rig it so the pull pin come out when the cat is removed. It may destroy the catalytic converter, your vehicle, and kill the theif, but at least they'll never still another one!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Short of putting some sort of shield or guard around the cats, I don't see anything you can do 'mechanically' to thwart cat-stealers.

How about stenciling "GUTTED - Catalytic conversion disabled / converter materials removed" in high-temp paint on the side?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are they freakin serious?! It's pretty sad when companies actually have to start marketing a cable locking system for the exhaust.

Why not just tack weld the cat? The average thief isn't gonna want to make a lotta racket with a saw zawl just for a cat. They'd rather unbolt it...if they see it's welded on, they'll just move on to something easier.

·
The bee's knees
2,600 Posts
yeah, people try stealing cats all the time because they're worth money. Put motion sensors under your car so you can come out with a bat or put thumbtacks on the floor under your car and be careful not to run em over :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
get some 1/4" x 1" flatbar and tack it to the piping a couple feet in front of and behind the cat. bend the flatbar to match the contour of the cat.

its going to take a much longer ammount of time to cut through the flatbar than just the exhaust piping.

if they get down and look to see the flatbar, they will probably be discouraged and move on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts