Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when i get my exhuats made here in a couple weeks i was thinking about having the exhuast shop make me a pipe to replace the Cat. and to hold onto the cat and when i have to smog it just throw the cat back in there.

i have a 96 with only the single cat. i was wondering if this will still throw a code and give a me CEL.

if so what can i do to get around his i know there are solutions i just forgot.

And this is quite a newbie question but what kind of gain (if any) will i be looking at with going to a 2.5" w/o the cat and a magnaflow (not sure on length) dumped right after the muffler so basically ZERO bends in the pipe.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
885 Posts
First off, you're probably not going to be able to have a shop make you a test pipe because its illegal. You'll probably have to have either a friend with a welder make it, or make it yourself. Exhaust shops can loose their license if they get caught doing that kinda stuff. Especially here in Cali. As far as CEL's, I couldn't say for sure, but I would think that you would throw a code, because you'll probably be blowing some soot out of your exhaust and past the O2 sensor with no cat. My advice would be contact URD about their O2 sensor simulator and see if it'll work with your vehicle.
Now then, in regards to increasing your pipe diamter to 2.5, Honestly, unless you're planning on boosting, I wouldn't do it. Especially if you're taking the cat out. You're gonna have almost no backpressure and N/A engines need a certain amount to make the most power, so you're gonna be hurting yourself in the end. It will be slightly less powerful, but way louder. Hope that helps.

Edit: another thing is if you take your cat out, install a resonator on your exhaust because without it, its gonna sounds super raspy and you're gonna get that pissed off bumble bee ricey sound from your truck.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
jakew88 said:
Ok when i get my exhuats made here in a couple weeks i was thinking about having the exhuast shop make me a pipe to replace the Cat. and to hold onto the cat and when i have to smog it just throw the cat back in there.

i have a 96 with only the single cat. i was wondering if this will still throw a code and give a me CEL.

if so what can i do to get around his i know there are solutions i just forgot.

And this is quite a newbie question but what kind of gain (if any) will i be looking at with going to a 2.5" w/o the cat and a magnaflow (not sure on length) dumped right after the muffler so basically ZERO bends in the pipe.

Thanks guys.
I would personally stick with the stock piping unless you are gonna boost, if you have too much flow on an N/A motor, you will have lots of lag

you may throw a C/E light without the cat, it did it for my truck, but others have claimed it hasnt for theirs

I know a couple of muffler shops that are willing to do test pipes, just have to look around and ask, my truck has a hollowed cat, personally it isnt as loud as a test pipe, Ive had both, and mine just gave it more of a truck sound, not as raspy as the flowmaster but not as deep as my magnaflow originally sounded

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
For the check engine light to stay off, and not throw the infamous P0420 code, you will need a rear oxygen sensor simulator to fool the ecu into thinking that the cat. is doing its job. People here seem to be having problems with the ones that they are purchasing, I made one for my truck, and it has NEVER malfunctioned. Let me know If you need an o2 simulator. I'll make one for you and sell it for a price comparable to the others out there. With my simulator, the o2 sensor appears to still be hooked up if you phisically look at the exhaust. The heater circuit is still connected to the ecu. All you have to do to hook mine up is find a power, a ground, snip 1 wire going to the ecu, and hook that wire to the sim.

Let me know if you are interested in one. I have access to all of toyotas wiring diagrams, so I can make vehicle specific instructions for you.

If anybody else is looking for a simulator as well I can do the same for you, but I've never tried it on an '01 or up model, but I would imagine it would work perfect on these as well.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i can have a pipe made. thats not the problem. i just dont want it to be a headache. with the CEL so mabe ill get a highflow cat. becuase i dont want it to be loud. just deeper when i get on it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so mabe ill stick to the 2.25 (i believe thats the stock size) and use a magnaflow.

what size do you guys suggest? i dont want it to be loud. just throaty when i mash on it. and mabe ill get a highflow cat so i can keep the sound and not worry about the CEL

·
Registered
885 Posts
jakew88 said:
so mabe ill stick to the 2.25 (i believe thats the stock size) and use a magnaflow.

what size do you guys suggest? i dont want it to be loud. just throaty when i mash on it. and mabe ill get a highflow cat so i can keep the sound and not worry about the CEL
18inch magnaflow is exactly what you need.:waytogo:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts