Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been going on for a while and now its really begun to bug me. sometimes when i go to a stop and i try to go to 1st, it wont. like it goes in half way. so i way to shift in second then i can go into first. what do u guys think i should do? its an 06 with almost 2100 miles on it. i was thinking about taking it in but i dont want to be truckless for a few days. or i was thinking of chaging the tranny fluid if that would even help. what should i do?

thanks for the help
devyn

·
Registered
129 Posts
DJDevynator said:
Well its been going on for a while and now its really begun to bug me. sometimes when i go to a stop and i try to go to 1st, it wont. like it goes in half way. so i way to shift in second then i can go into first. what do u guys think i should do? its an 06 with almost 2100 miles on it. i was thinking about taking it in but i dont want to be truckless for a few days. or i was thinking of chaging the tranny fluid if that would even help. what should i do?

thanks for the help
devyn
Take it in for god's sake,what do you mean you don't want to be truckless?I know it's hard to let your XR go,but you need to get it fixed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
it could be your synchronizers man but i heve not messed to much with transmissions so i would say take it in man even if you are truckless for a few days atleast it gets fixed. i dont see why it would do it so early though it a new truck

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the same problem... and from what I've read here no one has had any luck taking it into the dealer. I have an 06 with 7000 miles (bought in Feb). I read a post on here once (can't find it now) that gave some advice that worked.

He explained why it happened and why it worked - which I can't remember cause I'm not a "car guy." But try to put it into first until it won't go, then SLOWLY start to let the clutch out while still pushing it into first. After you let the clutch out just a little it will go in. Be sure to let the clutch out SLOWLY. This works for me every single time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Suicidal Hamster said:
mine does the same thing... i just put it into second, and then it slides right into first... i got over it
Same here:brickknoc , I have a SS. When it happens I just put it into 2nd and it goes right back in. It only happens every now and then.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
K2_02 said:
I have the same problem... and from what I've read here no one has had any luck taking it into the dealer. I have an 06 with 7000 miles (bought in Feb). I read a post on here once (can't find it now) that gave some advice that worked.

He explained why it happened and why it worked - which I can't remember cause I'm not a "car guy." But try to put it into first until it won't go, then SLOWLY start to let the clutch out while still pushing it into first. After you let the clutch out just a little it will go in. Be sure to let the clutch out SLOWLY. This works for me every single time.

i have the same prob with reverse and thats all i do i put it in and keep pullin it while i let the clutch out and it pops right in but dont do it to fast or it will grind :brickknoc lol i just got used to it

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you havn't changed your trans fluid yet I would change it to the RedLine MT-90. Mine was a little sticky lick that also. I changed my fluid to the RedLine and it helped a lot. It's no miracle cure, but it does help surpisingly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mine does it als. I've seen it in other makes also. Some times the teath on the syncro hub and syncro are hiting in a way that they won't slide past each other to engage. releasing the clutch for a moment turns the input shaft and repostions the syncro hub. Normal function of manual transmissions.

If I have time to swing by work tomarrow, I'll bring an old syncro so you can get an idea what one looks like.

·
Registered
211 Posts
mine does the same thing sometimes too. it wont let me go into first, but i just put it in neutral without letting the clutch out and then try again and goes in after that. also, often when i do put it into first with the clutch pedal all the way down the whole truck shutters/jerks a little and makes a little metallic noise. i put royal purple tranny fluid in it a couple weeks ago, and it helped a little, but did not cure it...kinda sux with a truck with only 8500 miles :cry: if it gets real bad, i'll hafta take her in...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright thanks everyone. ya ill think about it and c what im going to do. if i do bring it in it will be some time over next week probally. and i dont have a SS or anything. i was planning on getting it though.

·
Flaming Bastard
9,442 Posts
My Miata always does this. I just learned to ignore it, and I pop 2-1 every time I need to launch. No biggie.

·
Registered
358 Posts
when sitting at a red light next to a semi, u sometimes hear a grind just before the light turns green.. thats the semi shifting into first. reason being... 1st gear is a low gear, this makes it hard for the tranny to syncronize no matter what. just wait til u start grinding gears.. some of us can't slam 2nd, when that happens, take it in. as for first gear, its one of those things with ALL manual tranny's. when it doesn't go in the first time, let the clutch out just to the beginning of the friction point, your trans mission will begin to turn and it will slip into gear.

as for reverse, thats the same problem. all x-runners have a syncro for reverse, and if u press the clutch a moment before shifting into it, it'll slide right in if ur not rolling fast.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alrighty, thanks for all the help

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
wshsbears said:
when sitting at a red light next to a semi, u sometimes hear a grind just before the light turns green.. thats the semi shifting into first. reason being... 1st gear is a low gear, this makes it hard for the tranny to syncronize no matter what. just wait til u start grinding gears.. some of us can't slam 2nd, when that happens, take it in. as for first gear, its one of those things with ALL manual tranny's. when it doesn't go in the first time, let the clutch out just to the beginning of the friction point, your trans mission will begin to turn and it will slip into gear.

as for reverse, thats the same problem. all x-runners have a syncro for reverse, and if u press the clutch a moment before shifting into it, it'll slide right in if ur not rolling fast.
Just put it in reverse first then 1st gear.., simple as that..
It slows the syncros down and your good to go..

synthetic in the trans is sometimes a bad idea..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts