Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

so i have this 01 tacoma with an all stock diff and i wanted to know what are some ways to add a e locker in this thing? i know its possible as ive seen it first hand with a truck pretty much exactly like mines. but i just dont know how they did it. can i just swap third members (<- i doubt it) or do i need the whole rear end? also what parts are even need to do this job would be nice to know? (im still new to all this stuff lol)

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,232 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Let's start with some basics ... What are you wanting to accomplish by adding a locker (of any type)? How do you intend to use this Taco?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Let's start with some basics ... What are you wanting to accomplish by adding a locker (of any type)? How do you intend to use this Taco?
well basically i dont wanna blow my rear end cause i like to burnout.. alot. i like to have fun in this truck and a locker would really give me the action i want from this thing. it would eliminate some of the worries i have. atleast i think. was thinking about just welding the diff i have now or buying a detroit locker. lot of my friends have the detroit locker and their trucks can boogie lol. money is also a struggle cause im only 16 with an ok job lol

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,198 Posts
I have seen some things around here for posi units and whatnot. Lots depend on your budget. I would be personally looking for a clutch or gear type posi and not a locker

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
well basically i dont wanna blow my rear end cause i like to burnout.. alot. i like to have fun in this truck and a locker would really give me the action i want from this thing. it would eliminate some of the worries i have. atleast i think. was thinking about just welding the diff i have now or buying a detroit locker. lot of my friends have the detroit locker and their trucks can boogie lol. money is also a struggle cause im only 16 with an ok job lol
You're more likely to blow out the rear end with both wheels locked together... But I know what you mean. One tire fire ain't no fun. I've got a Detroit Tru-Trac limited slip and it's way better than an open diff. I do not recommend an e-locker on a 2wd street truck. Just run a good limited slip or a lunchbox-type locker, and leave the e-lockers for the offroad guys.

Reactions: Enola Gaia

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
ya got kit number or a hookup? Is it drop in?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
ya got kit number or a hookup? Is it drop in?
Not off the top of my head, but if you search you'll find it on this forum. There's plenty of threads on it. One pretty recently I know too, the guy even documented a lot of the research and figuring out the right unit and bearings and everything. It's basically a drop in, minus having to run different size bearings I know that.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Was following on that but I believe his final result was an 88 (or something) supra differential with upgraded clutches

1 - 8 of 8 Posts