Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's a post cat o2 like any other. It still gets a reading it just isnt in the direct path I have done this on several cars different makes n models n works fine. I can personally make a test pipe on my stock rz n make the o2 bracket n not pop a code if there is a calling for it
doesn't this method still require a functioning o2 sensor?

My sensor went bad, so instead of spending $80+ on a new one, I got the empire sim for $115 and shouldn't ever have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Proven? Using false signals to keep things in order? That's like the NSF calibrator I see guys running to trick the maf and that's tuning.
There are a lot of things taco guys are behind on in the performance side of things and trying to help save the headache an $ people are speccing unwisely
Just sharing my own experience

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Unfortunately custom and cheap almost never go together.
It's not the factor of being cheap..it's also the factor of being innovative.

I don't "doubt" people's products they sell..or anything..but some things that are offered through companies or personal venders I can fabricate/do myself with my knowledge..or at least figure it out after a while.

I'm just that kind of a guy...I'm not a cheap ass, I spend money where it's needed...I just don't have the extra money to buy everything and be "plug and play" like half the people who modify their trucks out there

but then again..I also do not have the time to do alot of these things...so it goes hand in hand with this conversation being somewhat contradictive

That's all

Taco_kid: I understand some things don't work, some do..but you will never find out unless someone tries right? I've been working on a few things trying to make them adapt to our 1st gen tacos..but I don't know if they'd work unless you try.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Some of us just don't have funds to dump into our trucks like crazy ^
Some of us have an OBD inspection to pass each year so we have to weigh our options and usually go with what works.

I agree, if someone finds a cheaper, effective way of doing something, pass it along so we all may have the opportunity to benefit.

I hope you do find a better way. :waytogo:

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Some of us just don't have funds to dump into our trucks like crazy ^
If you would stop trashing your truck like some peg legging wannabe drift car,
you could afford to buy the good stuff instead of replacing rear ends, transmissions, ect.. :nana:

I will eventually buy the Taco_Kids o2 simulator, its just not worth the hassle of screwing with it..

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Some of us have an OBD inspection to pass each year so we have to weigh our options and usually go with what works.

I agree, if someone finds a cheaper, effective way of doing something, pass it along so we all may have the opportunity to benefit.

I hope you do find a better way. :waytogo:
I live in California, I know all about emissions and CARB:lol:

If you would stop trashing your truck like some peg legging wannabe drift car,
you could afford to buy the good stuff instead of replacing rear ends, transmissions, ect.. :nana:

I will eventually buy the Taco_Kids o2 simulator, its just not worth the hassle of screwing with it..
I don't need or buy performance stuff..so there is no "good stuff" for me
and yes I trash my truck, the only reason why it breaks down is because I don't maintain it, it's strong sh1t if you maintain it

Your right, I should maintain it, so I can spend the money on more toys..not a single thing.
Good idea, once a good idea from Chris D:applause:

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not the factor of being cheap..it's also the factor of being innovative.

I don't "doubt" people's products they sell..or anything..but some things that are offered through companies or personal venders I can fabricate/do myself with my knowledge..or at least figure it out after a while.

I'm just that kind of a guy...I'm not a cheap ass, I spend money where it's needed...I just don't have the extra money to buy everything and be "plug and play" like half the people who modify their trucks out there

but then again..I also do not have the time to do alot of these things...so it goes hand in hand with this conversation being somewhat contradictive

That's all

Taco_kid: I understand some things don't work, some do..but you will never find out unless someone tries right? I've been working on a few things trying to make them adapt to our 1st gen tacos..but I don't know if they'd work unless you try.
That wasn't a jab at you or anything man, just stating a fact (that's true for me atleast).

my argument for buying a sim only applies if you eliminate the rear sensor completely. otherwise you will eventually spend more money when that sensor fails.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
That wasn't a jab at you or anything man, just stating a fact (that's true for me atleast).

my argument for buying a sim only applies if you eliminate the rear sensor completely. otherwise you will eventually spend more money when that sensor fails.
No, I understand..I'm just standing up for the people who try new things and sometimes succeed..I admit..most times you fail without going way over budget or whatever you intended to spend...or you just fail all along.
My 06 Acura TL mirror swap onto the Tacoma base didn't work..and I ended up wasting 2 hours of my time taking apart and putting together my mother's friends car..but hey it was worth a shot :shrug:

That's all..

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
undefined taco know what i am talking about i tried to swap color matched camry mirror onto my truck at the stealership i use to work at. did nt even get close .. and i am a broke ass fool in collage with a [email protected]@tty ass job and student loans , so i got some time to waste , but any way i will start a helper thread out of this pointless argument seeming there is nothing in the search about such a subject ,,,

No, I understand..I'm just standing up for the people who try new things and sometimes succeed..I admit..most times you fail without going way over budget or whatever you intended to spend...or you just fail all along.
My 06 Acura TL mirror swap onto the Tacoma base didn't work..and I ended up wasting 2 hours of my time taking apart and putting together my mother's friends car..but hey it was worth a shot :shrug:

That's all..

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
here we go i use the instruction i got from yota tech and a SR20 forums with picture ,, tacoma /toyota guys are defintaly behind the the game big time when a nobbie like me has to search unrealted forums for help on my taco, santos is totally right ,
picked up the 1 mega ohm reisistors and a 1uf capacitor , if it doesnt work o well i spent a wopping 4$ on it at radio shack .. and killded a evening,..... all respect to URD i support their or his gadgets products 100 percent and rock the FTC and 2.1 also just got my AFR calibrator in the mail today!!!!!!!i just dont have the cash for the urd sim
i write the part numbers down from radio shack if it actual works ..

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
i not that great at wiring , but i wont get better but not practicing it . i only used what i could find so a cd case and blue tape will be what i use for now!!!!!!!!!! i assume i coulda done better but i am broke , so basicly its a 1 mega ohm reisistor inline with the signal wire then bridged to the ground wire with the capicotr ,,ill solder the sim with my afr calbratos in tomarrow let u know how it goes cheeeeeeeeeee no cel please

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Not from what I have seen. The front cat is the priciest, and even the rear straight cat is well over $100, while the cheapest O2 sensor I found was like $120, and knowing that eventually those parts will need replacing again, why bother. URD sim is $104.
In your efforts to "find another way", it's starting to sound like using a wheel barrow to move a mountain of dirt.
Good for you if you can find some other way, but I'm going to guess that unless it's nearly free, takes less than 30 min to accomplish, and works %100 of the time, at any speed, for any time period, I'm sure that we'll just stick to the 5 min fix that has been proven time and time again to work. :waytogo:
LOL where do you shop? The rear o2 from URD is about 80 bucks...

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
sorry Chris D, i no longer make 'em :cry:. moved on to new things :)

picked up the 1 mega ohm reisistors and a 1uf capacitor , if it doesnt work o well i spent a wopping 4$ on it at radio shack .. and killded a evening,.....
i write the part numbers down from radio shack if it actual works ..
ok, let us know how it works out.............

yes, that is how new things come about, but we are talking about something i spent lots of time and $$ investigating and then came up with the world's only true simulator. the URD item is not a true simulator. but since the Empire sim is no longer being made the URD item is the only choice people have for a plug-&-play solution...

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
the Empire sim is no longer being made.
If it was so unique and top notch, good call on discontinuing it..
That doesn't make any logic..

I never actually heard of anyone running your sim come to think of it...

Were there issues with it?

I'm sure I could figure a simulator out, but at 60+ hours a week I really don't have time.. I work on fine circuits and do micro rohs compliant soldering/troubleshooting..

21 - 40 of 73 Posts