Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I've got an orbital sears brand (I think) buffer that I finally located in my garage along with a wool pad/bonnett and a few terry bonnetts. I wanna try and polish and wax my truck today and get the haze out of my paint to restore it back to a nice clear shine. I'm curious about what other pads/bonnetts I need and any chemicals I'm gonna need as well to make the job as good as possible. I have the mothers 3 step treatment along with a claybar, but unless I'm mistaken I think I need more than that. Any help would be appreciated because I'm looking into getting this done (or at least started) today unless I cant find the necessary stuff. On a side note, I know what I'm working with isn't the greatest stuff being that its old and cheap, but at the moment I'm not interested in dropping 100+ dollars on equipment at the moment, I want to just stick with what I got give or take some necessary accessories. Anyway, thanks guys.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would return all that stuff while you can, then go to Lowe's and get a Porter Cable 7336 sander/buffer. That buffer that you bought is really only good for waxing. It won't be able to polish very well. You need foam pads, not bonnets. I only use bonnets for wax removal, and most of the time I just wipe it off by hand. I know that you don't want to spend $100+, but I'd rather spend $150 than to waste $75 on stuff that won't work. I used to own one of those buffers. I know.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Deathmetaljoe, if you bought one of those big 10" so-called polishers from sears or advance auto parts or anything like that, take it back. AsPb2theMax said, they are too weak to apply and work polish. If you look at power of it, it will be around 0.5 amps. My G100 (PC 7424) is a 3.7 amp polisher. I have one of the cheap, big polishers, and I can tell you first hand that they will not work for what you want to do. Don't make the same mistake I did, but rather learn from it and invest in the proper tools right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
death metal the buffer you have is indeed a better wax applicator then anything. polishing not so good. but it will do it. the posts before me mentioned the prter cable. if you do decide to get one get the 7424 . with a good set of pads. foam polishign pads. soem finishing pads and sealer pads. then get your hands on soem meguiars profesional products.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I understand a little better now about it. However, I did NOT buy the thing. Its probably about 10 years old and I found the thing in the garage.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Pb2theMax said:
Sometimes you can get the PC 7336 at Lowes on sale for $90. It's the same as a 7424, but with a bigger counter-balance, which doesn't really make a big difference.
do you own the 7336 if so what size counter weight does it have? because i think the 7336 is set up for more sanding. in other words the counter weight will be heavier and the "orbit" will be larger. sometimes makign it hard for buffing and polishing.

·
Banned from Auto*****s.co
2,790 Posts
Just be like me... don't trust yourself to do it and pay someone else to... I'd just screw up my paint or something....

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Deathmetaljoe said:
I think I understand a little better now about it. However, I did NOT buy the thing. Its probably about 10 years old and I found the thing in the garage.
i think i also have the machine your talkign about. i have like 5 buffers/polishers. does it have 2 upright handles and the actual output shaft is offset on the machine? if so i have the machine and it works great for finish work but polishing it just inst fast enoug. i think ti only spins liek 2krpm. i use my porter cable at about level 4 which is movign way faster then the sears one .

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think thats the one. Its black and has one speed with just a simple on/off button. It does say orbital "waxer" so I suppose it was never really designed to buff and polish.:shrug:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
noelsmykuya said:
dont make the same mistake i did, burning off your paint :doah:
Fortunatly for me I have 4wd fenders in my future so I'm gonna practice first on my fenders that way if I mess up, I won't have to live with it for very long.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
With an orbital buffer/polisher you will not burn your paint. A rotary polisher however will, so its reserved for professionals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts