Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we all need to help get a buyers guide going for brake upgrades from mild to extreme.
I would like everyone to include the price you paid, what you use it for and a link to where to order it if possible.

Parts include:
Steel braided brake lines
brake pads
rotors
and full upgrade big brake kits

once we get enough info, we can take it all and make a new post and have it made into a stick.

I posted this here because there is no brake area and I wasn't sure if 2wd suspension was the correct area. If that is the correct area, we can move and sticky a new thread there.

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
SOS has a rear disk kit for all 2wd tacomas including the x runner... 11.5in rear disk 1 pistion caliper, stainless lines, and the parking brake will work for 800.00 tack on some more for crossdrilled and slotted... soon as I get my kit I'll find out it the kit will allow my from rotors to got to the back, and send the new ones up from, and perhaps even use a bigge front caliper- but that's in the distant future... as of now you can get a rear disk kit! come to think of it for 1200 wilwood has a front disk kit the increase the diameter of the front's 12.5 and comes in a 4 piston caliper! so for 2000, plus install (about 500) you can have a big brake kit all around!

SWEET DEAL, huh? yeah, you're all welcome!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racer_X said:
SOS has a rear disk kit for all 2wd tacomas including the x runner... 11.5in rear disk 1 pistion caliper, stainless lines, and the parking brake will work for 800.00 tack on some more for crossdrilled and slotted... soon as I get my kit I'll find out it the kit will allow my from rotors to got to the back, and send the new ones up from, and perhaps even use a bigge front caliper- but that's in the distant future... as of now you can get a rear disk kit! come to think of it for 1200 wilwood has a front disk kit the increase the diameter of the front's 12.5 and comes in a 4 piston caliper! so for 2000, plus install (about 500) you can have a big brake kit all around!

SWEET DEAL, huh? yeah, you're all welcome!
so what is the part number for the wilwood caliper and does it need a bracket or do they bolt right on? 1200 is a lot when the calipers themselves ussually do not cost all that much. and what about the rotors? how much are those a piece since you would eventually need to replace them. couldn't you just buy the same rotors that come in the kit some where for less, then buy the caliper and do it yourself for less money? just asking so we can maybe come up with a cheaper solution.

second note, the other reason i started this subject is because i feel the 2wd std cab brakes very well but suffers from brake fade very quickly.
So anyone with experience with a cheap solution to the 1200 conversion please put in your 2 cents.
My thoughts right now are steel braided brake lines, DOT 4 brake fluid, better pads, thicker rotors and air ducts like the ones i saw on Footinmouth's Tacoma.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CBRBob said:
Does anyone make a oversized rotor and bracket to use the stock caliper?
better question, is there any other car that uses a bigger rotor that will work on the Tacoma.

I was thinking about cutting out my front fenders and having a hoop welded in and swapping over the whole front suspension out for a cressida set up... but using a supra set up might be easier and would allow you to retain the tacoma upper a arm. you would still need a mounting point for the top of the strut though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I hear the Lexus LS brakes are a possible fit for our XR trucks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
http://www.powerstopbrakes.com/toyota%20truck.html rotors. anyone deal with this place. post links to stuff people :mad:
TACOMA 2WD

95-04CROSS DRILL LF2.4 4CYLJBR-790L90.16
95-04CROSS DRILL RF2.4 4CYLJBR-790R90.16
99-04CROSS DRILL LF2/98-00 PRE RUN & 01-04 2.7 & 3.4 EXPRJBR-791L86.55
99-04CROSS DRILL RF2/98-00 PRE RUN & 01-04 2.7 & 3.4 EXPRJBR-791R86.55
99-04DRILL & SLOT LF2/98-00 PRE RUN & 01-04 2.7 & 3.4 EXPRJBR-791XL107.44
99-04DRILL & SLOT RF2/98-00 PRE RUN & 01-04 2.7 & 3.4 EXPRJBR-791XR107.44
01-04CROSS DRILL LF3.4 PRE RUNNER W VSCJBR-794L105.18
01-04CROSS DRILL RF3.4 PRE RUNNER W VSCJBR-794R105.18

http://www.autoall.com/brake-rotors_ctg.htm

Warpless Rotors Toyota Tacoma 95-04 Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors $79.99 $49.99

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
Reference for a 2000 2WD (1995-2004 should have same parts).
I purchased my slotted rotors from here:
http://www.islandmotorsports.com/index.htm
Price was $120 if I remember correctly. No part number on hand.

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads from AutoZone (Lifetime warranty).
Part Number: 0433-20 (2WD) $44.99

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
ToyComa said:
so what is the part number for the wilwood caliper and does it need a bracket or do they bolt right on? 1200 is a lot when the calipers themselves ussually do not cost all that much. and what about the rotors? how much are those a piece since you would eventually need to replace them. couldn't you just buy the same rotors that come in the kit some where for less, then buy the caliper and do it yourself for less money? just asking so we can maybe come up with a cheaper solution.
Toy, the kit comes with steel lines, the caliper bracket, the slotted or crossdrilled disks, and a 2 or four piston caliper... it is a front conversion kit for larger disks... You'll have to check the wilwood site, and get the part number for the s-runner- which is the same as all other 2wd tacoma 5 lug setups 95-04... the 05 ups can use the trd kit/ stoptech kit/ urd kit for the front, and the SOSperf for the back!
I'm sure if you can weld, and or have access to a cnc machine, and happen to have a kit to copy you prolly could make a kit for less than 1000, front and rear, but the R&D alone would out weigh the cost- I mean afterall if it's possible for the rear disk kit to go for 800, then it is also possible to fab a front bracket, and caliper for less than that-- the biggest issue would be finding a rotor that would mate up... I do know that the 99-04 mustang rotors will bolt up, I think the center has to be bored out a bit, but they do match so... go from there- I don't have access to a machine shop- nor do I have time anymore for the R&D- that's why I bought a pre existing kit!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
yea man i agree that the taco brakes fade really quickly. anyone know where i can find steel braided lines for cheap? right now i cant even lockup my wheels since i upgraded to larger wheels LOL.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
tacoyota said:
yea man i agree that the taco brakes fade really quickly. anyone know where i can find steel braided lines for cheap? right now i cant even lockup my wheels since i upgraded to larger wheels LOL.
One of the reason of fading is the oil....along with the small pad's area (which is too small).
I changed my oil (re-flush the entire system) with Motul RBF 600, which has a boiling point at over 330 degree (Fahrenheit)...well over 500 degree celsius.
I also re-located my blinkers where the parking lights were, and I had to remove (delete) the parking light because of that....relocating my blinkers where my parking lights were.
I also purchased two NACA air-ducts from a company located in Virginia (I can't remember the name of it on top of my head...:doah: , which deals primarly with Nascar stuff)...I bolted those air-ducts where the blinkers were, and route the silicon pipes all the way, in between the lower control arm and the upper control arm. It basically sits right behind the calipers....when the truck is in motion, it "sucks" in air, and cool down the calipers...:waytogo:
The air-ducts cost me about $15 a piece, while the silicon pipes (which is only available by 11 feet and up) cost me about $60...
This is a cheaper solution to solve the fading.
Maybe in the future I'll go with the Wilwood...but so far I don't have any complains...:waytogo:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I did brake vents as well .Home depot galvanized 3x9 home duct and 3 inch plastic RV waste pipe [ wal mart ],and a couple plastic elbows to direct the air to the front of the caliper,I couldn't get the air to the center.The two front vents are in the lower valance to the left and right of the plate ,painted flat black.The 3 inch flex tubes are right behind the plate . I looked at removing the lower blinkers but wanted to keep it stock looking.Total parts were about 40 and it took some time to get the vents to fit in the lower valance.I will pull it out and post some pics.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
baldtaco said:
vividracing.com thats where i'm getting my rotora big brake kit from. $1800
13" 2 piece rotors and 4 piston calipers.
what are you going to do with your truck once you have those brakes? what are your plans? road racing, time attack?? does that kit have rear disc conversion with it??

·
Registered
258 Posts
actually planning on doing some road racing w/it. but mainly want it to brake perfectly. also i'm not sure yet if they sell rear conversion if not i'll go w/wilwod kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts