Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the brake thing above the axle and what is the arm for the attaches to the axle? I am going to bag my truck so where did you guys move it to and how?Will any sensors go off when i remove the arm? Did you shorten the brakelines and reflare them to make it fir the new location?

Thanks Dirk

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Hey, Jeff and I determined that the arm is for a load regulating system ( it aids the brakes if the load is heavier than usual ).

I took mine off and moved the reservoir doo-dad in front of the notch where it used to be. It all works fine - no sensors or anything attached to it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you shorten the lines or did you just bend them a different way? what is the reservior for , the e-brake?

thanks dirk

·
Registered
116 Posts
it looks like that arm just goes to a proportioning valve. Lowering the truck should give the rear brakes more pressure, unless the arm is adjusted to compensate. Great picture BTW... I can't bring myself to notch my new truck's frame rails & install the bags, but I love the way those control arms locate. Should completely eliminate the wheel hop I'm having problems with...

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
It's not really a reservoir... it's more like a "dispenser".
Anyway... I just used the factory lines and bent them so that the hoses could run foreward. Ideally. you would want to run new lines for neatness, but I guess I'm just cheap. heheh. It all works fine.

Yah, I removed the load arm whatchamacallit. It doesn't really do me any good since I'm not carrying any loads LOL!

I opted to mount the 4-link on the outside of the frame because I didn't want to relocate the fuel tank or the spare tire. This all seemed to work out really well. The only drawback so far is that I can't mount wider wheels... but I guess there's always sacrifices.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The thingy is a proportioning valve, used to reduce the amount of brake pressure applied to the rear end under braking. When the brakes are applied the weight shifts forward, (90% of stopping power is in the front) the proportioning valve keeps the rear brakes from locking up as easily under heavy braking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts