Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you purchased a used tacoma with lets say180k mi and you have no clue what maintenance has been done to it, what would you change/replace/check for first and foremost?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,768 Posts
There are too many "it depends" variables for there to be a single all-purpose answer.

If the original owner's manual and / or maintenance documents were included with the vehicle, that would be the place to start.

If the vehicle was always serviced at an authorized dealership over the last couple of decades you might be able to confirm the vehicle's maintenance history from their in-house system.

If you've got nothing for clues it might be worthwhile to pay a good mechanic to look over the truck to see if he can spot any obvious issues.

Otherwise, the first things I used to do myself were to check all fluids (level; dirtiness) and do a compression check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me? First, I'd change every fluid. Engine oil, transmission, coolant, and diff. Inspect brake fluid. A new OEM thermostat is something to consider when flushing the coolant. The reason I'd change regardless is the way the maintenance schedule is design by Toyota. If you change your oil, coolant, etc. on schedule the fluid you take out is still good. You don't wait for them to go bad before changing, otherwise your doing damage.

I'd pull the sparkplugs. If they are ND or NGK and in great shape I'd leave them. A different brand or signs of wear I'd replace. If the cap and wire set were not Denso I'd get rid of those, too. but that's me. Make your own call on that.
Pull the wheels and check brake percentage, along with checking for any oil leaks. Especially at the shoes.
Check air filter, replace if needed. Same with wiper blades.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me? First, I'd change every fluid. Engine oil, transmission, coolant, and diff. Inspect brake fluid. A new OEM thermostat is something to consider when flushing the coolant. The reason I'd change regardless is the way the maintenance schedule is design by Toyota. If you change your oil, coolant, etc. on schedule the fluid you take out is still good. You don't wait for them to go bad before changing, otherwise your doing damage.

I'd pull the sparkplugs. If they are ND or NGK and in great shape I'd leave them. A different brand or signs of wear I'd replace. If the cap and wire set were not Denso I'd get rid of those, too. but that's me. Make your own call on that.
Pull the wheels and check brake percentage, along with checking for any oil leaks. Especially at the shoes.
Check air filter, replace if needed. Same with wiper blades.
ya im trying to run thru it but ive done most of those minus the diff fluid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts