Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
I'd say about 1100... but why would you bother balancing a motor that is pretty well banced to begin with??? I can understand honing and extruding the head, the intake manifold, and the exhaust ports on the head, but why balancing?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racer_X said:
I'd say about 1100... but why would you bother balancing a motor that is pretty well banced to begin with??? I can understand honing and extruding the head, the intake manifold, and the exhaust ports on the head, but why balancing?
Just throwing that out to digest and learn from your guys feedback. Let's say hypothetically you wanted to stay away from the turbo route. If one were to run the TRD S/C with the proper URD mods & water injection......... tossing in upgraded rods, pistons and proper headwork = what could one expect to see in the rwhp range?

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
When you say blue printing, what exactly do you mean? To truely blue print an engine is a very involved process where the entire engine is remachined to very exact and precise standards well above OEM grade. Every deminsion of the engine is corrected and recorded and when it is done you should get a record of every single demension of the entire engine assembly. Do you need all of that?

Gadget

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gadget said:
When you say blue printing, what exactly do you mean? To truely blue print an engine is a very involved process where the entire engine is remachined to very exact and precise standards well above OEM grade. Every deminsion of the engine is corrected and recorded and when it is done you should get a record of every single demension of the entire engine assembly. Do you need all of that?

Gadget
ewwww.... I'm not that anal :doah:

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
true. it's a very good thing to do, but i think that it's a bit overkill fo these toyota motors. they are probably pretty close to begin with, so i doubt any substantial gains could be had by blueprinting. just balance it to heck and call it a day.

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
steepleit said:
Just throwing that out to digest and learn from your guys feedback. Let's say hypothetically you wanted to stay away from the turbo route. If one were to run the TRD S/C with the proper URD mods & water injection......... tossing in upgraded rods, pistons and proper headwork = what could one expect to see in the rwhp range?
probably 325 at most. the blower makes too much heat to really make good, good power. the most we've seen to date (correct me if i'm wrong fellas) is 305.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dropthattaco said:
probably 325 at most. the blower makes too much heat to really make good, good power. the most we've seen to date (correct me if i'm wrong fellas) is 305.
I'm guessing the water injection is a bandage and not complete fix of the S/C heat?

·
Registered
135 Posts
If your going to build it you get it balanced and blueprinted. It is a lot of work but it is totally worth is when you spend a lot of $ on a bottom end. I'd only did it because I spent so much on the internals so I maight as well have made sure everything was exactly to specs. My engine was so easy to turn over that I could grab the harmonic balancer and turn the long block over. I thinnk that it was worth it.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
steepleit said:
ewwww.... I'm not that anal :doah:
You should be !...starting of with the crankshaft. Knife edge, "Castillo wing", micro-polished, balanced (of course) and blue printed...that should set you back around $1000. Then you go from there. Rods, cylinders, pistons and so forth. (it turns out very expensive) but your engine will definitely benefit (vibrations are reduced to a minimum, high tollerance everything)...the only thing: it's expensive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The biggest limitation is the size of the blower. One liter just can't get much more than around 350 tops if you check out the air to fuel needed to make power. You need a bigger blower/turbo with an intercooler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts