Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey any of you guys out there have grilles on your rides? and if so how does it work without getting in the way of your hood release latch....
thanks

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I just put a biltet grill my 01 and it was a pain to install, so take it somewhere, trust me! I figured out that you gotta do a ghetto reach up from underneath the bumper. It sucks but it's alright for the looks!
Pics will come soon!

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
It takes the place of the center section that is already there. That's how it doesn't get in the way of the latch. Remove the grill and cut out the center section and install billet section. Easy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what i thought.....because on the 01's i know the latch is right behind the grille...i dont know if it worth the trouble

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I reached up and underneath my truck for about 4 months to unlatch the damn hood .. there is an easier way fellas!!!

pop the latch inside the truck. You can lift the hood up about .75" and slip your fingers in between the hood and the grille and catch the latch with your ring or pinky finger and unlatch it .. not that hard to do... and it saves your back from gettin dirty ... these damn 2001+ tacos ..... lol .... like i said .. took me 4 months to figure out a trick!!! lmao.

INACOMA .. what was so hard about cutting out the stock platic, drilling 4 holes, and screwing in the new grille????? Just curious because it took me about 30 min to get my billet insert in mine. Of copurse I do nto have the fancy side pieces like everyone else does .... i just have the center billet

later
Justin

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I got the fancy side pieces. It was hard cause I wasn't sure of what to cut and what to leave! I just sat there looking at it and wondering how the hell this thing was gonna fit! It did though after about 2 hours! Damn i wish i could of had you come install it for me!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Jason,
The billet grill on your truck, was that a kit? If so, who makes kits for that style grill ('95)? Also, is that a stock lower valance? Did you just cut out the cross sections? If so, whith what? A hacksaw?

Thanks Man,

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
The upper billet is for our truck. The lower grill is for the same years, but 4x4. They are both from Trenz. It is a stock lower valance. I took it to my friends body shop and had him cut out the center and repair the holes from cutting.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Does anyone here have a pic of a 2001-02 billet grill mounted in a black painted grill shell? I wanna know what it looks like before I go hackin' into my new truck.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have a '02 Taco and two weeks ago I installed the billet grill. I just keep the wrench from the Makita Die Grinder in my center council because it's flat and long enough to pop the latch behind the billet. You can do the same with a long screw driver. All that crawling under the bumper stuff seems like it's a pain in the a$$!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts