Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 01 prerunner running 33" allterrains. Well my gas mileage sucks ass. I have the airaid intake tube not the full intake, throttlebody spacer, and exhaust so far. Well i know that i need to re-gear it for better gas mileage. Well i was wondering if there was anything else that i could do to get better gas mileage. My goal is to get about 19-20mpg. I thats asking alot but theres got to be away to do it. I was reading on the deckmod. Ok i was wondering everyone says that its better then an intake. ok i have just the tube w/ stock airbox do you think ill notice a difference?:shrug:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read an interesting article about gas mileage a little while ago.
in the first 4 reccomendations, Do not change the tire size, and Do not lift an SUV or TRUCK were there.

I was pretty annoyed, but to be honest, It's kinda dumb to try .. when all you have to do is take the lift off, and put some 235's back on.:jawdrop:

I'm getting 15/17mpg with 2.5" lift and 265x 75x 16s

It is horrible, but I gave up caring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm running 285 75 16 wit stock gears and a blower 4wd trd taco and get 21 mpg on the highway. @ 70 mph. i get better fuel milage with the blower than without.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'm currently getting 20.7mpg. When I had the TRD s/c w/2.2" pulley I was getting 22.2mpg. I put the s/c w/2.2" pulley fuel mods ect. on my buds truck and his mpg went from 17-18mpg stock to 19-20mpg. He stays in the throttle a lot though. I have factory ride height and tire size. For some reason forced induction seems to help mpg as long as you are not in the throttle all the time. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greg_Canada said:
Are you calculating the mileage difference for having bigger tires?
right now if i were to go calculate it with out putting in the factor that a bigger tire rolls a longer distance. im getting about 13mpg. but im guessing its around 15 altogether.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats weird about the SC, i was told that it make the gasmileage go down. any other mods can u think of to give me better gas mileage. :shrug:

·
Registered
600 Posts
My 3.4L 4wd xtra cab taco was getting 21freeway and 15-16 town. It had 270/70/16 A/T with a 2.5" lift in the front. My 3.0L xtra cab LT w/ 32 11.50's muds is getting 14-15 in town and 16-17 freeway.

You should be getting better mileage then 13. Especially better then my 3.0L truck. There horrible for mileage like the other guy said. Try using A/T tires instead of muds if you arent. Try electric fans. Full synthetic oils. Make sure your o2 and spark plugs are good and clean. Your air filter is clean. Could try seeing if sea foam helps. Make sure your PVC and fuel filter are good. Try being a little easier on the throttle too.

Im switching to A/T and going to put in a electric fan to see if that helps me out whenever i get the time and figure out how to install an electric fan on my truck.

I had the deckplate and i think i went up about .5-1mpg. I cant remember anymore.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Also URD sells like an Air/fuel tuning thingy. It should help on NA trucks and not just FI truck with power and better mileage. I was going to get it before i sold my taco.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i know i have been slowing down on the gas. i dont care about being first off the line at a light, I have a brand new airfilter, i have 33" BFG A/T. If you do the math its 13 miles pergallon but bigger tires roller a further distance so im guessing about 15 MPG. I have stock gears. which i want to change for the new tires. Try a deck mod. but other then that i dont know what to do. the electric fan thing i wonder if that works. also less air conditioner will help. ill look into that URD thing u were talking about.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think it was called the PSC 1 or something like that. Is the 15mpg around town? Cause thats what my 4x4 got and i had smaller tires.

·
Registered
600 Posts
What kit are you running on your prerunner. Your pics to small for me to check out the truck. I wanna see it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
all i know is i have a 3" procomp spacer and 33/12.50/15 BGF AT's. I'm at 16mpg right now and i drive about 70 miles a night city I went from a K&N filter with the deckplate mod to a cheapy Fram, and noticed the gas mileage went down significantly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
WOW you guys are lucky!!! I get about 11 MPG. I only get 180 miles to the tank if I'm lucky. Actually my last tank I only got 170 miles to the tank. I've tried everything from the tornado to different brands of gas! If I pull a trailer It still does'nt change the mileage. But I still love my truck!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Wow man you seriously need to regear. If your truck is the red one from your avatar, no wonder you're mileage is so poor! If i floored my truck everywhere i still get like 12 lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts