Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, This may seem like an odd question for a 4x4 Tacoma. I have a 1998 4x4 extra cab that I swapped a 2JZGTE into. I don't want to lift it, What I would like to do is make it handle better. I know its a 4x4 and will never handle like my MKIV Turbo Supra. I am sure their is a lot of room to improve the soft bouncy feel it has now. Its the TRD off road model with the stock blue bilstein shocks. With around 500 wheel horsepower. It accelerates like my Supra. It hits triple digit speeds almost as fast as you can shift. The wheels & tires I have made a huge difference over the stock 15" wheels. I went to a 17" wheel with pretty wide performance street tires. Tires size is no taller than stock for a 1998 4x4 Truck. I know the suspension can use some work. What is the best options out their?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I would run ICON, KING or FOX coilovers.
http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/complete-suspension-systems/28-1996-2004-tacoma-suspension-system-stage-1.html is all you need. You can get them with the right valving and spring rates for your set-up.
For rear suspension i would run the matching shocks.

The main difference is Icon valving is digressive, where fox and king and progressive. Fox and king are stiffer at high speeds, where icon is stiffer at low speeds.

Then you can get uprated sway bars, addco may make them for your truck.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am also interested in better handling for the 4x4. It's hard to imagine what Toyota was thinking when they decided to not put a sway bar in the rear of the Tacoma. I'm thinking the Hellwig rear sway bar may be the best bang for the buck suspension upgrade.

I did Bilstein 5100s on the front on the stock height setting and Bilstein 4600s on the rear. These are about the best non coil over shocks available and I feel like they pretty much just restored the ride to a little better than stock. I don't think these shocks greatly improved the handling. The 5100s in the front did somewhat improve the dive forward I had under hard braking. I still have a lot of weight transfer movement under hard acceleration.

Caltracs eliminate axle wrap which is a problem even on stock Tacos. They should make handling more predictable because axle wrap in the middle of a corner would not be good.

I'm thinking Caltracs and a Hellwig swaybar might transform how the rear axle handles from bad to okay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, This may seem like an odd question for a 4x4 Tacoma. I have a 1998 4x4 extra cab that I swapped a 2JZGTE into. I don't want to lift it, What I would like to do is make it handle better. I know its a 4x4 and will never handle like my MKIV Turbo Supra. I am sure their is a lot of room to improve the soft bouncy feel it has now. Its the TRD off road model with the stock blue bilstein shocks. With around 500 wheel horsepower. It accelerates like my Supra. It hits triple digit speeds almost as fast as you can shift. The wheels & tires I have made a huge difference over the stock 15" wheels. I went to a 17" wheel with pretty wide performance street tires. Tires size is no taller than stock for a 1998 4x4 Truck. I know the suspension can use some work. What is the best options out their?
I am in the process of a similar build currently on a '16 tacoma. To keep stock height but get the best ride possible, I would say go with eibach or similar lowering springs in the front and shocks designed to go low as well. As for the rear, the best setup I could imagine would be to convert to SUA and then use a combo of a racing style AAL such as ICON progressive or Wheeler's suspension progressive AAL. Complement that with bilstein 5100s in the rear or even fox/king shocks and a lower shock mounting point and my thinking is that would be about the best handling the taco can offer. SUA eliminates axle wrap which MUST be a problem with double stock HP, and installing stiffer shocks will help to smoothe bumps and keep the truck level over changes in pitch, corners, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts