Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what do you guys think is the best way to get good sound out of a standard cab 2001 taco? Now it has a small tweeter and 5" x 7" speakers and a pretty weak head unit. i would like to put in a set of 6x9 speakers i have lying around or maybe some 10" subs i have lying around (as well as replacing the stock speakers and head unit) but where do i put them? i need the seat to be able to go all the way back and can't seem to find the room in a standard cab!

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Good question,

I have a 2001 standard cab that came stock with bucket seats and a nice center console and want to get some good sound out of a very small space. Any ideas would be great considering i really like the function of the stock cd/tape/radio head unit.

Thanks
INACOMA

D

·
0 Posts
the best possible way to get good sound depends on location of the speakers and the type of music you listen to. tacoma factory speakers locations are in a bad place, since the sound is aimed towards your legs and not your ears. The best option would be a 3 way component system with the low and mid in the factory spot, and the tweeter in the top of the door panel - the only problem with this is component systems are pricey and custom work would be involved to place the speakers. If your looking to keep the price down, go with 2 way or 3 way speakers with an adjustable tweeter. bass can go pretty much anywhere, but now you can aim the tweeter (highs) towards your ears instead of your legs. As for subwoofers, MTX thunderforms and JL audio stealth boxes are special designed boxes that fit in standard cab tacomas without sacrificing legroom that go directly behind the seats. Custom building a box is also an option. You can find these items on ebay. also, if you are upgrading the speakers you might as well updgrade the head unit becuase the factory stereo does not have high voltage or power output therefore making your nice aftermarket speakers distort and sound bad. Any aftermarket head unit will have all the factory features plus more. If you decide to go with subwoofers, an amplifier is absolutely neccesary. most importantly, keep in mind what kind of music you mostly listen to, and how loud you like to play it. and INACOMA, that is what my license plate says!

D

·
0 Posts
I will say that MTX makes high quality products, I've heard the subs inside various stores, and a friend of mine had 2 MTX 10's in the back of his integra and it made me see blurry. Ive also visited their factory, (here in AZ) and id say that the process that goes into building their stuff is careful and efficient. As for the thunderforms for the coma ive never actually heard them and i dont know their power rating, how loud would you want the music and what kind of music would be mostly playing?? That can determine the kind of amp you want

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I listen to a lot of different stuff but i want something that hits on lows like hip hop nad reggae but also doesn't overcome vocals on hardcore or rock. I am fearful of buying a thunderfoam and not being able to actually feel it hit but just hear the bass. Does that even make sense? Oh well

Happy New Year and Hope all is safe and well

INACOMA

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
I have heard the Thunderform playing all variations of music from rock to rap to classical. It all sound great. I'm looking to get one to replace my two 12" Fosgates.

D

·
0 Posts
maybe you can consider this idea; put components in your door flash-mount the tweeters maybe 1/2 inc below the window, put amp under passenger and driver sit, take-off the console and place the tube as your bass. if not fully satisfied add kick panel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
right now i have 2 10s sealed...do u think ported might sound better? im planning to make another box and this time im gonna make this one ported...let me if u know the difference!
thanks

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
That really depends on whether your speakers were designed for a vented or sealed enclosure, check the specs on them. But generally speaking ported enclosures will giver more boom, with quaking bass volume, while sealed enclosures will give you a tighter, more accurate, punchy bass...it really depends a lot on your taste for bass sound and also on the type of music you play most. I'm personally an audiophile and kinda prefer the accuracy of a sealed box, but if you want people down the road to turn heads at the rumble coming from your truck...go ported.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Ok well here's the scoop. I've installed alot of systems; and for trucks the best way to get some bass while keeping your space is to 1. MTX thunderforms. They're good for the cost and sound ok with the MTX sub in it and you get to keep your leg space. You can change the sub and amp later on too.
Or 2. go to an audio store and get them to make you a custom box. You'll keep the space, it'll sound alot better since it's tuned for your truck, it's stronger (less box vibration translates into more bass, more power, and a better sub you can put in.) Personally, I don't like MTX subs, there are alot of better ones out there like Fosgates, JL, Solo Barics are great esp the L7, but pricey. The amp that comes with the Thunderform is good, but only for the MTX sub that it runs, you're better off with some other ones. Phoenix Gold, Sony, Fosgate, Alpine, all are great amps.

As for your front speakers, components are awesome. And everyone is right the Taco has crappy speaker mounts because it mounts to your feet. Come on my ears aren't on my feet! You can get a component, mount the mid range in the door (bass is heard at any angle unlike highs) and mount your tweeters in the front corner or your A pillar, door, and window, the little black triangle thingy. Or mount them high up on the B pillar right where your ears are. That's just some ideas, theres so many ways to go around this. Speakers and amps are a personal thing, and everyone will have their own "brand" and also how much money you can spend. But just like anything else you get what you pay for. Latez

·
Registered
103 Posts
if im running 2 10s, i have to put 2 port holes right? where does the port holes go, or it doesnt matter where it goes? im gonna out them on each side, but whats the best outcome for it?

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
usually the farther from the driver the better (less port vibration, cleaner sound) , and port them blowing to the front for max bass

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Here's a basic layout of how i had my last box, it put out a really nice sound, ports on the lower corners, everything toward the front, though when i tossed it in the truck from out of my car I got better sound when I put it on it's back, drivers and ports aimed upward, but I have an extra-cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Porting and venting all depends on the enclosure and type of speakers...

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Tacked Out,
To fit two tens did you have to remove the jack from behind the passenger side seat? Where did you relocate it to? I want to add another ten behind the passenger seat but I have no idea where I would stick the jack. Under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Right now my box is up to the jack...but i just made another box that will take take the whole back (behind the seat) so...tell u the truth i dont know where to locate the jack...probably under the driver seat if itll fit. my amps chillin under the passenger seat.
is it sealed or ported? the box i have right now is sealed, but i just finished the ported one...jus gotta seal it and carpet it!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts