Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody tell me what has been the biggest and best modification they have done to a 2.4? Would it be better to go with simple things like intakes and headers or is something like the Venom 400 or the A’PEXi better?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Best Modifacaton

Apex'i controller wouldn't do well, i wouldn't figure cause i don't think the 2RZ-FE's have a mass airflow sensor... so you couldn't do real-time inputs... could be wrong though. I'd go with Intake, headers, exhaust first..

·
Registered
20 Posts

I would say the best power bump would be to have E.L prototypes reprogram you computer. I did this and I was amazed! Intakes don't do much, exhaust does a little. You will probably have traction problems after reprogramming....its expensive but worth it. The venom only removes the lag from 1/4 throttle and up but dosen't change the power band-the reprogramming will pull to 6300 rpm with much more power!

·
Registered
282 Posts

el doesn't reprogram the 00 2.4's do they?

·
Registered
656 Posts

The venom 400 works excellent in conjunction with other mods but I doubt as a single modification would be very impressive. The Apex-i unit I have heard is difficult to program and wasn't made specifically for this vehicle. For a fairly inexpensive upgrade get some headers, a bored throttle body and an exhaust system. The power you will get from these parts should be satisfactory.

·
Registered
605 Posts

Intake and exhaust do add a lot to the performance in the mid to high end range. I just installed the K&N FIPK and Gibson SS catback exhaust about a week ago (K&N was installed about 2 days before the SS exhaust system). With just the K&N FIPK you could feel the difference in mid-top end...and the sound is pretty cool in second gear too. Throttle response is a lot better and it's easier to blip the throttle and downshift. With the Gibson SS exhaust system added it seems to have a litte more gain all around...and the excelleration it really good. Go to about 20mph in first then shift to 2nd and floor it..it accelerates a little quicker than normal to about 35mph then it seems like a rush of power as the needle starts going faster - then at 40mph it's like a magic point. It goes from 40mph to 50mph extremely quickly, at which point I shift to 3rd to stay away from the 55mph 2nd gear max speed. Also around 40mph in 2nd gear the K&N FIPK starts sounding like a faint turbo, nice sound! And the sound is further complemented by the roar of the Gibson exhaust once your going 35+mph.

I've taken the tacoma autocrossing twice (once before the mods and just last weekend right after the mods) and liked the difference in power. My times were a little better, though I'm sure If I was running on some better tires that would make a lot more difference than anything else. Main problems with Autocrossing a truck is that when coming out of a sweeping corner onto a straight, the light rear end doesn't allow you to hook up the rear tires and accelerate really fast - you have to take it really easy otherwise you'll be spinning the rear for about 100 or so feet. Anyways I just mainly auto-X'd the truck to see what difference the mods made and they do make a decent improvement in acceleration, just need better tires to get good course times.

One good thing about aftermarket parts for trucks is that they are cheaper than cars! My Integra costs like %40 more for the exhaust system.

A header is about the only other thing I plan to add to my Tacoma - power wise. I've ordered an AutoMeter tach which should be in any day now...it's been nearly two weeks now! Once the stock tires wear down I plan to get 16" wheels and some good performance tires. That should be it because my Integra is in need of a lot of things - roll bar, racing fuel cell, racing wheels/tires, lightweight windows, tranny rebuild, and engine rebuild. Whew, I better get busy!

Hopefully I gave some insight into "good" mods...I think the best mod would be the new Supercharger for the 2.4/2.7L engines though!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have a venom400 on a 96 and I have seen a big difference. I have an injen intake and a ractive exhaust. I have a buddy with a 98 with intake and muffler and without the venom in the 1/8 I beat him by a fender. With the venom I beat him by a truck and a half.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts

what's the venom 400?

·
Registered
98 Posts

check it out @
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.venom-performance.com>http://www.venom-performance.com</a>
I'd supercharge the truck for the best mod.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts

What exactly is the Venom 400?? Is it a side computer chip that attaches to the ECU and other wires?? I see that it has an on off switch.. could this just be used for racing times and such?? How well would it work in conjunction with the TRD Supercharger? This is a fuel regulator system right?

I'm confused.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Dont bother with this Venom box. My personal opinion is that you could spend your money elswhere. Many of these plug in boxes for cars that claim quick performance gains are more hype than anything. These boxs usually just perform minor ECU tweaks of the spark and fuel system which will never result in serious hp gains. If you have a s/c on your taco I would suggest going with a set of headers or exhaust system.

Glenn

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Who am I trying to fool? Lay off what? What are you talking about?
I have a right to express my educated opinion just as you do.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts

Yeah really, is there any reason why it can't be like SSM, you can read all you want, but must sign up to be able to post...you know like you see on there, if you were logged in you could comment, that would be nice, no more flaming idiots (nobody in particular) could just wander on and post BS, at least not without a little bit of real effort.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Well now I am a member. Does that make everyone happy? NOW Am I allowed to make posts with the approval of others (not that I need it.)? I can understand people being irritated by unregistered people making overly rude posts and flames but I have never done that

Anyway this is the last comment I will make about this other person using my name and making stupid posts. Whoever that is it's not me. Why would I make such a stupid post? First of all I am a 25 yr old adult not some little kid and I dont talk smack about other peoples vehicles. I have been working on import cars for 9 yrs+ and I have a website on my car.

Just by reading my website at http://home.earthlink.net/~akuma/cars.htm one can see that I have some good knowledge and experience concerning forced induction, performance modifications and drag racing. The reason I have been posting and reading on this forum is because I am going to purchase a red 2001 or 2002 Tacoma Srunner within the next few months. I intend to buy it with the TRD S/C, headers and exhaust therefore becoming a part of this forum definitely appealed to me. My motives for joining this forum are simply to further my own knowledge of the tacoma's performance and to aid others with my current knowledge.

My rant is now over,

Glenn

1 - 20 of 28 Posts