Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2008 tacoma TRD sport 4x4 double cab. My stock tires that came with it are running bald and Im in the market for some new tires. I want to get some all terrain tires, but I havent ever tire shopped before so i dont know what to get.

When I got offroading I primarily go up in the snow. So normal/rain driving and then snow are my priorities. I do go in the sand/mud some as well though.

Any help on what tires to get would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Well fuel economy is somewhat of a concern, so if its a significant difference then yea maybe something less aggressive, what would be another recommendation?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know you'll get lots of opinions - so here's one more.
Had BFG ATs = good tires, little noisy, not so good in the rain, good milage life
Now have Toyo ATs(LT265x70x17) = like better, quieter, better in rain, not as aggressive but never gotten stuck, have only been in snow twice and didn't have problems, now at 32,000 miles starting to get a little low so milage probably not as good as BFGs.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you. How bad in the rain are the BFG AT's? and how many more miles do they last? I dont mind a less aggressive tire though. From what I've been reading Those toyos sound better for my useage, minus the less mileage, if its significant. So being my first tire shopping experience, whats the best way to shop for a set of toyo AT's- call up various tire stores in my area and see who gives the best deal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
BFGs weren't that bad in rain, just a little more slippery than the Toyos. Could be firmer tread compound on BFGs, but that gives longer wear. Toyos also have more siping, possibly the less aggressive tread design helps.
I recall milage on BFGs about 40,000+. I'll probably change out Toyos at 35,000. Toyos have had more/harder off road miles. So ... ???
I have a 2008 crew cab, long bed, 4WD, 3" lift kit (Icon w/ billet UCAs) - like a TRD Offroad, but better, without decals!
I think Discount Tire deals Toyos.
See what other folk on here say. There seem to be a number of good comments on Generals, though I have no experience or friends with them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checked discount tire website in and around my zip, doesnt seem to have the toyos for my truck. any other places that my have it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you. How bad in the rain are the BFG AT's? and how many more miles do they last? I dont mind a less aggressive tire though. From what I've been reading Those toyos sound better for my useage, minus the less mileage, if its significant. So being my first tire shopping experience, whats the best way to shop for a set of toyo AT's- call up various tire stores in my area and see who gives the best deal?
You should easily get 50k miles out of the BFG A/Ts. I know people that have gotten well over that. They are more expensive than some of the other tires out there, but well worth the money in my opinion. I have no issues with them in the rain. They do have a semi-aggressive tread pattern, but I don't find them to be loud at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The BFG All terrains are great tires. ive rode them for quite a while. if its for an all offroad purpose there are much better out there...

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
I have run most every tire on my 96 4Runner with the long travel. On my new 4Runner I got a set of the Nitto Terra Grappler. This is a great tire. Works very well off road with great traction. One road they give a nice smooth ride and are very quiet.

If you mostly stay on the road with the occasional off road adventure, I think you will be very happy with these tires.

G

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what you've said my friend you will love the Bridgestone Revo 2. I switched the from the BFG's to these on my Xterra and couldn't be happier. In the rain they are very stable and surefooted, and in the snow I've made first track in 3 feet of thick wet Cascades snow. Off road they are very good as well never got stuck and have gone through mud up to the doors. They are super quiet on road as well. These also wear just as good if not better than the BFG's. Another option would be the Goodyear silent armors I've heard nothing but good things about that tire as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out the Procomp Xtreme AT...I've been runing them for about a year and they have worked out well for all conditions.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I like BFGs real quiet even wear. It seems like im only going to get 2 years out of them. ..there the BFG KOs reviews on tire rack said 50000. Geolander ats look real good I got 50000 out of them

·
Registered
484 Posts
I like BFGs real quiet even wear. It seems like im only going to get 2 years out of them. ..there the BFG KOs reviews on tire rack said 50000. Geolander ats look real good I got 50000 out of them
My tires are wearing fast now I wonder if anybody
else has BFG KO s that are wearing early I thought they would go 3 years

·
Read Only
819 Posts
My tires are wearing fast now I wonder if anybody
else has BFG KO s that are wearing early I thought they would go 3 years
Hi Lloyd,

Several years ago I had some BFG KO's on my truck & I think I got around 30,000 miles out of them, but part of the reason was my gas pedal would get stuck to the floor every time that I took off...:D

Mad Maxx

1 - 20 of 26 Posts