Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Swank:

You have 60/40 split seats now, right? If I were trying to convert that setup to buckets, I would go the easy route and get a driver's side bucket seat from an S-Runner (what I've got now). It'll bolt right in to replace the 60% wide driver's seat you have. Or, if you're looking to save some coin, a passenger's side bucket from a junkyard Taco will bolt right in. Only problem there is that you'll have to swap out some hardware to put the seatbelt on the proper side so you can buckle up.

Rad
A passenger's side bucket will NOT bolt up. The side of each seat nearest the transmission tunnel is lower than the outside portion because it sits on a higher part of the floor. If you put a passenger seat in the driver's side it will be out of wack and even if the holes line up, the seat will be so tilted to the outside you won't be able to close the door.

I have Integra buckets in mine. I took my seatbelts out of my taco and had the ends machined down narrower so they will buckle into the integra buckles. Pretty easy to do and they work like a champ. Putting the seats in was easy also, had to drill one hole, and used the rails on the seats so I can still have the sliders.
Why do all that? The buckles from the Tacoma seat can be bolted to the new ones. I did this with my RSX seats and the bolts for the Tacoma buckles even had the same threading as the holes in the RSX seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm new to this forum but i have this same problem, i have a 2007 Tacoma Regular Cab with bench seat... I have some aftermarket seats I was going to install in my '91 Si but ended up trading it in for this truck. I'm thinking since the seats would be the most expensive part of this, where about could I go to find a mount and sliders...

also I don't know if it would work but I have a 4 point Corbeau Racing Harness, or would I be better off trying to make the stock belt and buckles work...

finally, the sensor in the bench seat for the airbag is it simple to remove and install in the new seats?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
i'm new to this forum but i have this same problem, i have a 2007 Tacoma Regular Cab with bench seat... I have some aftermarket seats I was going to install in my '91 Si but ended up trading it in for this truck. I'm thinking since the seats would be the most expensive part of this, where about could I go to find a mount and sliders...

also I don't know if it would work but I have a 4 point Corbeau Racing Harness, or would I be better off trying to make the stock belt and buckles work...

finally, the sensor in the bench seat for the airbag is it simple to remove and install in the new seats?
i would recommend finding an 05+ tacoma that has the same color interior as yours but with buckets and just swapping them over, i have seen where someone swapped all the airbag stuff over, but that just seems like too much work. When i had my 07 access cab the buckets were actually pretty decent. my .02

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts

(1) Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

(2) What brand / model seats are these? If they're 'better' name brands (like Corbeau or Recaro) there are probably manufacturer mounts / bases available (for a price). Otherwise, Wedge Engineering in California might stock (or can fabricate) mounts for most anything (for a price). The hard part isn't the seat - it's the mounting.

(3) I agree with the suggestion that transplanting 2005+ Tacoma buckets might be the easiest and most straightforward strategy. It could well end up being the cheapest approach, too.

(4) Yes - you'd need to transplant the bench seat sensor to avoid having the SRS warning light come on and stay on. However ... The 2005+ Tacoma buckets use a more elaborate occupant (passenger side) sensor / ECU / harness than the bench seat setup. I'm not sure how much would have to be swapped to make everything work as intended with buckets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
they are R1 Racing sports... I actually have them listed for sale here... if you pull up the annapolis.craigslist pts/3076760683.html(sorry won't let me post a link unless I have 15 posts already :mad:

I believe they are authentic just a bit old and not replicas... also part of the reason I want to have airbag usage still is b/c my wife is the primary driver of the Taco as it's the safer of our two vehicles so she drives it to work everyday. However with the single bench seat and us being short we can't fit a car seat in it, so I was looking at either split bench or bucket swap.

Split bench would be better for a car seat, but bucket swap may be cheaper seeing as how I already have the bucket seats and they match the truck. Red Taco with black fender and bumper

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
link inactive
The forum's current ownership blew away the legacy CT Tech articles during the latest "upgrade". They've been notified of the loss, but haven't restored the articles (yet?).

The seat installation articles can be retrieved from the Wayback Machine:

Seat Installations I: Transplanting Seats Into Your Truck

Seat Installations II: Installing Aftermarket Seats

21 - 29 of 29 Posts