Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to remove the bed? Any tips?

I want to push my bed backwards temporarily so that I can squeeze my hand (and a wrench) inbetween the bed and the cab. I looked underneath and it appeared that there were 3 (I think, can't quite remember now) nuts on each side. I was able to make do tonight without moving the bed but if it's not that hard I'll do it (trying to get a socket of box wrench in there to tighten some nuts).

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I remember correctly its only four nuts in a square pattern two on the left side of the bed and two on the right side. And if you have a friend with you it's not that hard or heavy either just awkward as hell. If you look under your bed you should be able to see the bed mounts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks. I figured it was pretty easy--just wanted to double check. I tried to loosen one of the nuts briefly tonight but I couldn't crack it on the first go around...

(PS - the reason why is that I bolted one of these to the bed wall by the cab.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Taco Bike, report back on how it goes. I'm considering the fuel mods and I understand it's easier to remove the bed to access the fuel pump versus dropping the tank. I'm curious how it works for you.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Cool, thanks. I figured it was pretty easy--just wanted to double check. I tried to loosen one of the nuts briefly tonight but I couldn't crack it on the first go around...

(PS - the reason why is that I bolted one of these to the bed wall by the cab.)
naw, i have an idea for u. what i did for a two bike rack. i bolted two of those suckers to my tailgate. it holds two bikes fine looking opposit ways. and when im done, i just flip the tailgate right back up.
it actually didnt bounce up and down on the speed bumps. and it will b a lot easier to mount than on your bed wall..
but thats just me

·
SkyPimP
1,159 Posts
Dont forget to unbolt the fuel filler neck holder in the refueling door. It's like 4 nuts and you're there. As far as getting to the tank, if you have some help take the bed off. You'll hafta unwire the lights too in order to get if off. If you can throw it on a lift, or some ramps that may work if you don't have your homies to help you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Taco Bike, report back on how it goes. I'm considering the fuel mods and I understand it's easier to remove the bed to access the fuel pump versus dropping the tank. I'm curious how it works for you.
It is WAY easier to take the bed off to get at the tank! Dropping it is a serious pain in the ass, but lifting the bed off is easy as cake (as long as you have an extra hand!).

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,774 Posts
anybody use an engine hoist to take their bed off?
Off hand, I don't recall anyone using an engine hoist, but I suppose it's possible.

It may be cheaper and more practical to simply raise (jack; lift; whatever ... ) the bed, sit it on higher supports (e.g., sawhorses), and then move the truck out from under it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if youre solo, an engine hoist really does help. in my case i could not get the legs of the hoist completely under the bed evenly due to it hitting the leaf springs so the hoist was offset a bit, which lifted the rear of the bed higher first then the front would go up. looking back, im sure i could have used the tie downs alot more effectively but oh well...my 11 year old helped out by lifting the lower part of the bed so i could roll the bed away from the truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took the bed off with one other person...no lift or hoist. It probably weighed around 250-300lbs. Made changing the fuel pump and sending unit a piece of cake. Lighten it as much as possible by removing the tailgate and bedliner first if you have one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I took the bed off with one other person...no lift or hoist. It probably weighed around 250-300lbs. Made changing the fuel pump and sending unit a piece of cake. Lighten it as much as possible by removing the tailgate and bedliner first if you have one.
definitely takin the bed off to swap the fuel pump. Watching videos and dropping the tank looks like way more work

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, dropping the tank is a ton more work.

To remove the bed, in addition to the six bolts you'll need to disconnect the taillight harness and fuel filler neck but those are both relatively straightforward. I did mine with the tank full, too. Beats draining fuel or having it slosh around and shift the weight while you're under it. Obviously you'd drive around until empty (which is never really empty) but this way there's no need. You also don't need a lift, jack stands, etc. I did pressure wash the frame and everything under the bed first before I started working on it just because of the dust (and because I like my stuff clean).

·
Registered
62 Posts
i also pressure washed the frame when the bed was off, amazing how much dirt, leaves, spider webs there are

1 - 17 of 17 Posts