Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 2wd tacoma sr5 v6 ext cab

i want to lower it probably 3/4 maybe 4/6, what kits are out there that are quality kits? ive been out the mini truck game for a while. had a 94 ranger on bags back in 96 and ended up trading it in for a 97 taco then got rear ended. so now its 2020, im back.

so is belltech chassis tech a decent brand of suspension? i would like to gain the lowered/performance look but will be hauling crap around every blue moon but not often and not heavy full loads of crap...

what other susp components would you consider replacing while putting in a lowering kit? any tips is appreciated

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,701 Posts
Just so we're clear on this ... Your Taco is a 5-lug 'mini' rather than a 6-lug PreRunner - right?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,701 Posts
One thing to bear in mind when scanning through the CT archives on all the variations and possibilities ...

Your V6 XtraCab is the heaviest possible 5-lugger, and it will settle lower than 4-cylinders / Regular Cabs. There's no way to precisely predict how much difference the weight will make. Just remember that tips / tactics for lowering a lighter Taco (and cutting it close on clearances) may not translate exactly to your situation.

If you're willing to limit the drop to 3 or 4 inches I'd recommend looking into the S-Dad Mod - swapping in 6-lug leafs in the rear, usually with removing one leaf. This gives a medium amount of drop but maintains the ability to handle loads in a reliable and stable manner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing to bear in mind when scanning through the CT archives on all the variations and possibilities ...

Your V6 XtraCab is the heaviest possible 5-lugger, and it will settle lower than 4-cylinders / Regular Cabs. There's no way to precisely predict how much difference the weight will make. Just remember that tips / tactics for lowering a lighter Taco (and cutting it close on clearances) may not translate exactly to your situation.

If you're willing to limit the drop to 3 or 4 inches I'd recommend looking into the S-Dad Mod - swapping in 6-lug leafs in the rear, usually with removing one leaf. This gives a medium amount of drop but maintains the ability to handle loads in a reliable and stable manner.
ahh i see, i was also thinking to go with rear helper bags if i did go low and wanted the ability to haul. but thats great advice on the leafs, so 6 lug leafs no matter the year?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,701 Posts
... but thats great advice on the leafs, so 6 lug leafs no matter the year?
No - years matter. There was a change in leaf lengths during the mid-1990s, and the suspension was redesigned for the 2001-2004 era.

You should be safe with OEM 6-lug leafs from 1998 through 2000.

The S-Dad Mod was created to lower an S-Runner ('01-'04). I don't recall whether - or how may times - anyone's done an S-Dad Mod on a pre-2001 Taco. In principle it's all the same thing - swapping between leaf-over(-axle) and leaf-under configurations to effectively lower the rear overall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ordered the djm 3/4 kit. now i need new U/L BJ's....why is it that on websites it does not specify if its 5 lug or 6 lug? are they the same?

rockauto, 1a auto, etc

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,701 Posts
No, neither the upper nor the lower ball joints are the same for 6-lug 4X4's, 6-lug PreRunners and 5-lug minis during the 1995.5 - 2000 era.

Did you enter your VIN when doing an online search? If so, the vendor's system could differentiate among the possibilities based on that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, neither the upper nor the lower ball joints are the same for 6-lug 4X4's, 6-lug PreRunners and 5-lug minis during the 1995.5 - 2000 era.

Did you enter your VIN when doing an online search? If so, the vendor's system could differentiate among the possibilities based on that.
i tried looking for any kind of search by vin on 1aauto etc and there is no option. ill keep searching

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also what is the stock sway bar diameter on my truck? 99 tacoma sr5 ext cab 5 lug v6

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,701 Posts
also what is the stock sway bar diameter on my truck? 99 tacoma sr5 ext cab 5 lug v6
I don't know, and Toyota doesn't provide such dimensional specs on their OEM suspension components.

Your 1999 front sway bar is a different part number from the bar used on 2001 - 2004 Tacos.

FWIW: According to MountainBiker in his classic S-Runner sway bar transplant thread the front sway bar diameter on his 2002 5-lug mini was 26.9mm. I have no idea whether this is - or should - match what you have on your '99. I tend to doubt it, because the suspension was re-designed for the 2001 - 2004 era.

Bottom Line: You need to measure it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
got it all lowered with the djm 3/4 kit and those calmax shocks and also changed sway bar bushings...had to take out the rear bumpstops so my next move is aftermarket bumpstops...probly for the fronts too...gotta get it aligned asap

will post pics

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
**** took me almost 2 days doing it solo in my driveway...cost me $60 to press out old cross shaft from stock UCAs...that was a pain in the ass (for mechanic) lol

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,701 Posts
Kudos ... It looks nicely lowered and leveled. Have you made any measurements to see how level it is now?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
all four corners are near 25.5 inches just about...i didnt measure before hand...it completely slip my mind to do that
Kudos ... It looks nicely lowered and leveled. Have you made any measurements to see how level it is now?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this is what i found when i removed the pass side shock. wow drove like this from sac to sf (80 miles) didnt even notice anything

1 - 20 of 23 Posts