Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone
I,m new to this type of forum, so please excuse me if my question is not the intent of this chat site.
But i have a problem with a rusting out rear end cover plate on a 2002 Tacoma. This is one of these trucks Toyota replace the frame at 12yrs old, plus a whole wack of other parts covered under Warranty. It would be ashamed to scrap this truck after all the new parts that have been put on this truck. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be great.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

I'm not clear on the 'rear end cover plate' you're referring to ... :shrug:

Can you be more specific as to what this plate / panel is and where it's located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The differential cover on the rear axiel witch is not removable. It has developed pin holes, causing diff, oil to spray all over the place

·
Read Only
819 Posts
The differential cover on the rear axiel witch is not removable. It has developed pin holes, causing diff, oil to spray all over the place
Well the options would be to either find and buy a rear differential or drain and remove the current rear end and axles and clean out the rear housing and then weld or have somebody weld a metal plate over the rear cover.

Mad Maxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mad Maxx
Managed to get in touch with a mechanical engineer where i use to work. He suggested Liquid Steel, the high strength type if the pin holes are not any larger than 1/8 in size.
Covered the whole cover about 1/8 thick, let sit for 4 hrs. I then had to drive to town witch takes about a hour of actual driving time and at highway speeds 80/90km.
So far so good
Onre the grinder

·
Read Only
819 Posts
Hi Mad Maxx
Managed to get in touch with a mechanical engineer where i use to work. He suggested Liquid Steel, the high strength type if the pin holes are not any larger than 1/8 in size.
Covered the whole cover about 1/8 thick, let sit for 4 hrs. I then had to drive to town witch takes about a hour of actual driving time and at highway speeds 80/90km.
So far so good
Onre the grinder
Sounds good and I didn't know if liquid steel would hold up and let us know if it ever starts leaking again.

Mad Maxx
:draggin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts