Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are these aquamist kits that people always talk about? I guess they are sold through URD. What do they do and are they necessary because I hear about lots of people getting one.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Aquamist is a Water Injection system designed for engines that have forced induction(turbo,S/C) . It's purpose is to cool the charge of boost from it being highly compresed. It mists the solution in before the TB and mixes with the fuel and air mixture. It lowers the intake temp so making more power with less chance of ping/knock is possible. :headbang:

I got mine from URD with the tank and a higher boost pulley. People get these kits because they can not get enough boost to satisfy ever so something has to be done. In circumstances like the TRD blower where intercoolers are not available this is what we use.

Sam

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah unless you have a supercharger and about a 10 lb boost pulley it wouldn't be something you would want, although I did hear of one guy that was wanting one for a NA truck that was pinging badly from carbon build-up. It will clean the carbon off. :D

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Is it possible to mount the methanol injector/s after the TB? If not why?

·
Registered
514 Posts
McKeever said:
Is it possible to mount the methanol injector/s after the TB? If not why?
Yes, that's actually where it's recommended to go. URD sells a spacer plate that holds the nozzle between the TB and supercharger. The red spacer in this pic:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ochizon said:
FYI there are far cheaper options than aquamist
Okay though will someone answer my question though. This truck I am workin on building with a guy out of Washington is gonna be a beast. We are strenthening the chassis and everything to keep this truck working. Changing out tranny, etc. We are planning on pushing out around 550 on about 15 or so lbs of boost, and about 400 when I'm just driving around. With this in mind, would a system like the aquamist be a smart option?
(I can do this crazy stuff, I don't have to worry about passing smog)

·
back in black (tacoma)!
6,238 Posts
ok, well, alky/water injection is not a power adder, per se. It does, however, allow you to run more agressive timing, and/or higher amounts of boost on pump gas.

You might be able to reach your horsepower goals on pump gas anyway, but the alky/water injection is definitely advisable (at the very least for your high boost settings).

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
514 Posts
memario1214 said:
Okay though will someone answer my question though. This truck I am workin on building with a guy out of Washington is gonna be a beast. We are strenthening the chassis and everything to keep this truck working. Changing out tranny, etc. We are planning on pushing out around 550 on about 15 or so lbs of boost, and about 400 when I'm just driving around. With this in mind, would a system like the aquamist be a smart option?
(I can do this crazy stuff, I don't have to worry about passing smog)
So I guess you're going to do this with a turbo? Because with a turbo you could run an inter cooler instead of the WI. With the supercharger there isn't a good way to run an intercooler so WI is pretty much the only option for cooling the intake temps down.

·
back in black (tacoma)!
6,238 Posts
mt_goat said:
So I guess you're going to do this with a turbo? Because with a turbo you could run an inter cooler instead of the WI. With the supercharger there isn't a good way to run an intercooler so WI is pretty much the only option for cooling the intake temps down.
the intercooler and WI are not mutually exclusive. You cannot run the kind of boost/timing with just an intercooler than you can with both.

·
Registered
514 Posts
ochizon said:
the intercooler and WI are not mutually exclusive. You cannot run the kind of boost/timing with just an intercooler than you can with both.
Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of running both together.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts