Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 01 4x4 xcab. But, she's pretty beat. 7 years in MN = lots of rust underneath. Using her to run cable installations beat the crap outta the bed. No more parking brake. Haven't had a stereo for 3 or 4 years. I'd love to trade mine in, and my beat up 11 aveo on another 1st gen 4x4 but they're getting pretty hard to find (I can understand noone wants to get rid of them!) I'm still trying to pay off the 2500 I put in her last year for front suspension work, plugs, wires, ignition coils. The motor is still strong at 190k. I guess I should save her at least till Ive paid off the recent work. She just starting to look rough, inside and out... I don't want a newer tacoma they so big with the same HP. I like my mid-size.

Is there ANYTHING out there remotely as good as a 1st gen toyota??

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
In my opinion - no.

You mentioned size. The older "mini" or "small" pickup was the right size for me and my needs. Nobody markets a similarly small pickup in the US market anymore. All the current options are in the "mid-size" form. This isn't necessarily that much longer than the original Tacomas, but it's substantially wider and heavier.

The other thing that's changed is that it's almost impossible to find a pickup that isn't filled with tech and convenience features you may or may not want, much less need. In other words, it's almost impossible to find a "basic" pickup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts