Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
"constantly" are you kidding? with the correct balljoint angle you should never have to change balljoints unless you beat the truck by hopping it. Even then you may not change them but once or twice in the entire life of the truck.

And yes its overkill like putting a bigblock into a minitruck. same thing. I dont know about you but Id rather have a 4 cyl in a minitruck for mileage. Id have the bigblock in something else.

Uniballs should be an option not the only choice.

The ONLY and I mean ONLY reason I brought it up is to show you dont have to use Uniballs to get the travel you need. The travel is dependent on correct angles. I like them and will sell them on parts but I will NEVER tell someone you have to use them to get the travel you need. Thats just plain wrong and comes from the uninformed not knowing that proper balljoint angle is that important. It also comes from people reading forums all day and talking someones opinion as fact without doing the research to find the truth.

Check into balljoint angles, amount of travel in a typical stock balljoint vs. a uniball or similar balljoint. You will find some surprising information.

So, now you know I do like Uniballs but dont prefer them to stock style or screw in balljoints.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I know you can lay one out on 20s using factory arms, flipping ball joints, spindle spacers, "z"ing the frame, and modifying the control arms to relieve ball joint stress. I've done it successfully many times, now I'm just looking to help out the mini trucker that doesn't have the ability too.

Put into mind not everyone has the time, tools, or knowledge to do that amount of modifications. I'm doing this to help them out.
but they willl still need the tools knowledge and time/money to be able to bag the front, relocate the upper shock mount,weld brackets for the a arm portion, sway bar, tubbin ,running lines, compressors, and the rest of whats involved in baggin.... the ball joint flip is the most easy part :shrug: :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Someone used to make Taco lowers that incorporate the stock strut rods....

Those would be easy to install. as far as shock mounts go, use those stiff ass slam bags and run no shocks.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Someone used to make Taco lowers that incorporate the stock strut rods....

Those would be easy to install. as far as shock mounts go, use those stiff ass slam bags and run no shocks.
It sounds like he is planning on making a lower arm similar to the offroad lowers that get rid of the strut rod (t/c rod) and mount at the factory location and up to where the rod bushing used to mount, most likely with a heim. The shock mounts would be easy to mount off the front area of the arm. Instead of having to mount it on the strut rod and weaken it. Simple and clean. I'm not arguing btw, I just keep picturing those types of lower arms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yea it sounds like it.

I made my prototype where the nut on the lower arm bolt was in a tube which made the lowers A shaped.

getting around the stock lower balljoint is the bitch. Its better to incorporate it. The upper can be anything from stock, to screw in to uniball.

good luck with it. There seems to be several people making tube arms these days but they are all still as busy as they can be.

Mike
www.dallashotrodparts.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
hey dhp did you happen to build arms out of a barn at one time? if you are who im thinking of your dawg sled ripped my leg open while we were taking the body off at slamboree in 01 or so. it still hurts. a set of taco arms might make it feel better....haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey dhp did you happen to build arms out of a barn at one time? if you are who im thinking of your dawg sled ripped my leg open while we were taking the body off at slamboree in 01 or so. it still hurts. a set of taco arms might make it feel better....haha

Thats me, and thanks for helping with the Sled.

Id be glad to give some away, all I need is a stock upper, stock lower and a stock spindle to keep in my library of parts.

Id give a full set of tube arms that replace the strut rods, use screw in upper balljoints and stock lower balljoints, with the correct balljoint angles of course....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im sure I will find some sooner or later. Im off to my wrecking yard research project in the morning. Ill be looking at Mitsu mighty max and Isuzu both 81-87 pup and 88-93 pup. I have those but need to measure mounting points and clearance. I will do the same as soon as I get some Taco parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im still waiting on someone to take me up on the offer of a free set. I just need a stock upper, stock lower and a spindle...

I have an old BYC fixture for the lowers but Id rather fab a completely new one.

I will check back often.

anyone interested email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry guys for the delay, I got a little side tracked with a customers truck. I will definitely have pictures by Thursday. I already have the spindle brackets designed and laser cut to perfection. I will be at Sparks in the Ozarks this weekend with a couple sets on hand if anyone needs them now.

Send me a pm if you want a set.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Alright guys here you go. These are the uppers, they are 3/4" longer then stock for more camber adjustment. The balljoints are angled 8 degrees to relieve stress when laying on those big wheels. They are made from 1 1/4" DOM .250 wall. Extremely strong. They install with your factory cross shaft.
The lowers will be finished next week.

Pair of uppers $250 (balljoints, bushings, etc.)

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
DUDE, those are sweet!! I'll definately be hitting you up sometime early next year to get a set of uppers. I'm not bagged but have a little camber from BJ flip & 2" belltechs. And also planning to go lower once i get some 350z coils.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Alright guys here you go. These are the uppers, they are 3/4" longer then stock for more camber adjustment. The balljoints are angled 8 degrees to relieve stress when laying on those big wheels. They are made from 1 1/4" DOM .250 wall. Extremely strong. They install with your factory cross shaft.
The lowers will be finished next week.

Pair of uppers $250 (balljoints, bushings, etc.)
do you still make these? I’m currently having the same issues with my taco trying to lay out on 20s. Ball joint is getting pinched.
thanks

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,246 Posts
do you still make these? I’m currently having the same issues with my taco trying to lay out on 20s. Ball joint is getting pinched.
KANE hasn't logged onto CT in over 9 years. I suggest you send KANE a private message ("start a conversation" with him) to see if it triggers an alert that he'll respond to.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts