Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am driving home tonight and truck is feeling great with the cold air it's getting. Not many people on the road and some punk in an SRT-4 comes roaring up. He gets slightly ahead of me and slows down. Even knowing that he would kick my a$$ especially on the freeway at the speed we were cruising at I still drop it into fourth and mash the gas and boost past him. He caught up pretty quick and just as he passed me he hit his brakes enough to make me think that he saw a cop so I was at about 4500rpms in 4th almost at the speed limiter and immediatly let off the gas then slightly got back on it and heard a pop. It sounded almost like I hit something and it didn't sound good. I think it was a backfire. Anyway there was no cel and the truck drove fine the rest of the way home. I was scared to get on it again, but I did just to make sure everything was ok. Truck felt the same and sounded the same too. So my question after this novel is... has anyone else experienced a backfire? Also does that sound like what it was?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
not on a tacoma but in my crx all the time. i like how it sounds. dunno if this help but i just wanted to get more post credibiltity lol

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I get it all the time bro, I used to get scared too, and then one day my friend was following me from behind and my truck backfired in front of him, then my cell phone rings and he says this "DUDE!!! you trucks exhaust just shot out some flames!!!!" I was like really?, so ever since then Ive been trying to backfire on purpose :waytogo:

·
Flaming Bastard
9,442 Posts
Before I put a working cat back on my truck, it backfired, popped, burbled, and spit little flames.

I kinda miss it :headbang:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was a backfire then I think that is tight! But I am not sure if it was. I think it was, I hope it wasn't something bad.

·
cold eh
3,804 Posts
I do it to people at bus stops and anybody with a open window.:evil:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flatboy said:
I do it to people at bus stops and anybody with a open window.:evil:
So in your experience does that sound like what I did? I am more worried about being stranded than blowing up my taco because if my taco blows up l can finally go buy my EVO that I want.

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
I can and do "zoot" which is the sound of my backfire- which is accompanied by a bluish fireball... I try not to though, because it brings undo attention!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Racer_X said:
I can and do "zoot" which is the sound of my backfire- which is accompanied by a bluish fireball... I try not to though, because it brings undo attention!
So as long as the truck still drives fine and sounds fine then I have nothing to worry about?

·
slow poke
3,098 Posts
and you guys aren't worried about potential damage?

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
dprofeta said:
So as long as the truck still drives fine and sounds fine then I have nothing to worry about?
right, however too much "loading up" is a sign of a rich condition and you'll fry your cat, if you run rich all the time!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I have been trying to enlist the help of someone to help me fine tune my truck. Brian gave me a fuel map that was pretty close according to my Wideband and OBD but it is a little rich to be on the safe side. I think my brother will be helping me. He is very experienced around cars and tuning 600+HP monsters but if there is anyone else with Taco Tuning experience that wants to lend a hand.....

·
QA1 Founding Father
4,471 Posts
i used to backfire all the time when i was NA but when i went turbo it slowed down a little bit, but yea man its really loud when youre straight downpipe and yuor windows are down.. i think itd be fine i never had any problems with it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts