Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing the bed for my 4-link install and doing a fuel pump while I'm in there too..

Are there any tips or tricks for removing the bed?

Any advise would be great..
I'm going to pickup a 1 ton chain hoist today too, should help alot!
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
I'm removing the bed for my 4-link install and doing a fuel pump while I'm in there too..

Are there any tips or tricks for removing the bed?

Any advise would be great..
I'm going to pickup a 1 ton chain hoist today too, should help alot!
thanks
4 bolt screws on gas inlet, 6 bolts underneath. Is your kit almost ready too? I havn't heard back about the bags.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
make sure you undo the plastic around the gas door, make sure the filler neck is not attached to the bed, remove the taillights, detach the taillight harness from the inside of the taillight cavity, and i think that's it.

btw, why the fuel pump? if it aint broke, don't fix it...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I have found that it is easier/safer to just get another healthy person to lift the bed off by hand and either set it on sawhorses/blocks/or on the front face standing up rather than trying to rig up a chainhoist, which can really only be hooked up to the tie-downs in the bed, unless you want to try to rig up something to pinch the side rails (but with the risk of bending up the side/top rails).
Without the tailgate on it, it's really not that heavy that two people can't lift it off.
Hope to see some pics when you get done with that link. Good luck.:waytogo:

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
make sure you undo the plastic around the gas door, make sure the filler neck is not attached to the bed, remove the taillights, detach the taillight harness from the inside of the taillight cavity, and i think that's it.

btw, why the fuel pump? if it aint broke, don't fix it...
The pet snail is gonna be hungry and needs to feed, it's one of those, "while I'm in there" sort of things...

I have found that it is easier/safer to just get another healthy person to lift the bed off by hand and either set it on sawhorses/blocks/or on the front face standing up rather than trying to rig up a chainhoist, which can really only be hooked up to the tie-downs in the bed, unless you want to try to rig up something to pinch the side rails (but with the risk of bending up the side/top rails).
Without the tailgate on it, it's really not that heavy that two people can't lift it off.
Hope to see some pics when you get done with that link. Good luck.:waytogo:
I bought an inexpensive 1 ton chain hoist and figured I'd try crossing 2 tie down straps together and use the hook in the middle..

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
personally i'd back the truck up under a balcony lift it off and then move the truck to where your going to work on it.:clapping:

Pretty much doing the same thing, unfinished garage, hoisting the bed up,
then securing the bed as high up as possible with
some overkill thick 4" truckers straps to the truss's.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
personally i'd back the truck up under a balcony lift it off and then move the truck to where your going to work on it.:clapping:

Pretty much doing the same thing,
but in an unfinished garage, hoisting the bed up,
then securing the bed as high up as possible with
some overkill thick 4" truckers straps to the truss's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
be careful when doing the fuel pump if you take off the lines, its real easy to roll the edges of the fittings, ive done it before on a previous taco i had. they have a weird thread pattern, so if you mess it up its not easy to find a replacement. i had to go to a hydraulic speciality shop

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
be careful when doing the fuel pump if you take off the lines, its real easy to roll the edges of the fittings, ive done it before on a previous taco i had. they have a weird thread pattern, so if you mess it up its not easy to find a replacement. i had to go to a hydraulic speciality shop
Line wrench is the only way to roll..

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
It is actually fairly stiff and the bed doesn't weigh that much to be a issue with it being on a furniture dolly. Worse case just place a piece of plywood/OSB on the dolly to spread the load. :waytogo:

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Yeah I would agree and say spread the load with plywood or some 2x4's. I usually just layed down a moving blanket and stood it up out of the way. It would be handy if you had two dollies.

·
Registered
758 Posts
unclip all the fasteners that secure the taillight harness along the rear of the bed and inside the taillight cavities. Also helps if you undo the 12mm headed bolt that secures the fuel filler neck (located behind the plastic wheel liner down below the fuel filler door) gives a little extra room to move

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Turns out I won't be doing the 4 link anytime soon (Hasn't been built yet) but I have to do the fuel pump to advance my power goals..

I crawled under it today, I removed 2 bolts on the drivers side and loosened 2 on the pass side, pulled the drivers side tail harness and both license plate lights.

The drivers side wont lift up as if there is another bolt somewhere.. Is there?
The undercoating is so thick that it's hard to make out if there is a 3rd bolt on the drivers side.

Should I remove the rear bumper when I attempt to tilt the bed for the pump swap?

guidance request.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its been such a long time that I've pulled the bed, 6 bolts holdin on the bed?
Toyota caked that frame recall coating under it and I have to use a search team to find the bolts.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Its been such a long time that I've pulled the bed, 6 bolts holdin on the bed?
Toyota caked that frame recall coating under it and I have to use a search team to find the bolts.
yup 3 bolts on each side (remove drivers, loosen passenger), and on mine i didnt even need to disconnect the driver side tail light...then take off any hardware on the fuel filler neck and it tilts right up...i just stuck a jack stand between the frame and some where sturdy on the bed and it stayed up for me...litterally in and out...the hardest part of the the hole job was getting the bed tilted :lol:

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bed tilted, jackstand under it..

I've never seen this style of fuel line fittings..
How do these come off so I don't break em?

I had my line wrenches all ready to roll, wtf is this shlt?
I can no longer upload attachments from mobile..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts