Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Yeh, I've seen plenty of electric antennas on eBay. just do a search for "Toyota Tacoma" (no quotes) and see what you come up with.

Personally, I'd like to get a little stubby billet one. :)

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I feel the same way. I am debating on either shaving mine when we do body work and paint or going with an electric antenna. I am sure that the 4 Runners, Highlanders or Landcruisers come with electric antennas, when we were waiting for our truck, I glanced at the price tag for a 2001 Landcruiser it read clearly $54,000.00 all leather interior, for that much they had better give you an electric antenna, and I am sure they would work just fine with our trucks.

Hope this helps,
Pete & Sheryl
01 Tacoma SR5 extra cab
"Goldfinger"

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Cut the stock one, grind the tip narrow enough for the ball to go back on and hit it on with a hammer. That's what I've done to mine and plenty of other people I know have done this.

·
Registered
282 Posts
LoL, that actually works?

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Sure it does. It's an old trick. I cut mine about the same height as the truck. Preference really.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I HAVE SEEN ONE TACO SHAVED AND THE ATENNA WAS IN THE FRONT WINDSHIELD. I KNOW IT WORKS BEACUSE IN THE 1982 TOYO CELICA IT COMES LIKE THAT STOCK THERE IS NO ANTENNA STICKING OUT ANY WHERE.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, if reception is still good I think I'll do that...the antenna is way too tall.

·
Registered
232 Posts
SLAMDTACO-thanks to your tip...i shortened my antenna today. its now a little bit lower than my cab. looks a lot better. the reception is fine...actually...its a bit clearer than it was before. *lol* maybe it's just me. =)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the tip bud, Jeff this would be a good tip for the tech section, when you do yours you can post some pics.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I "lowered" my antenna today, in the process, scratched the little ball thingy, so after cutting it down to about 12" I reinstalled the ball and sprayed it body color in base clear, looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Be careful not to lose the ball. Take a pair of pliers with them closed and the antenna in the pliers. Slide the pliers toward the ball with some force. The ball will pop off.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Jason,
Thanks for the how-to on the antenna. I just cut mine today and it looks great. Reception hasn't suffered at all. Thanks man.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts