Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know noone really makes coil overs for the front of 2wd tacos.. i understand thisand mainly because we dont have struts.. however i've seen struts before that bolt up as out shocks do with a threaded part on the top vertical and a horozontal part with a bushing and bolt going through it.. anyone think that the part at the bottom would be strong enough to hold up the weight of a taco? or could it be reinforced to do so? basically what i'm after is to find a set of adjustable coil overs that could bolt in place of the stock shock to give me some adjustability?:shrug: i know the top spring mount is strong enough the lower i dunno?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i dont believe that the bottom mount for the shock is welded all the way around if not if you weld it to the control arm all the way around i dont see why you would have a problem its 1/8 inch like the frame so weld it up should hold.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
why not just fab up a mount that will allow you to use any double eyelet style coilover?. like just flatten out the top of the lower arm and weld two brackets that will allow you to put a bolt throuh the lower eyelet and then make a bolt in plate for the upper coil bucket that uses the same basic idea,two tabs to bolt the coil over to.

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
i have coilovers.... but it's a lifted mini :D

you know what though, i'm sure you could use those lower arms and find some sort of shocks. Or if anything, cut those coils and crank them all the way down.... :shrug:

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
MiniTaco said:
i have coilovers.... but it's a lifted mini :D

you know what though, i'm sure you could use those lower arms and find some sort of shocks. Or if anything, cut those coils and crank them all the way down.... :shrug:

what control arms are those? downey? fabtech? those could work

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Firdaddy said:
i have djm upper arms allready.. no need for control arms forme.. plus it woudl be physically impossible to correct any camber issue i would have since fabtechs are shorter than stock and i would need longer:doah:
oh I meant the lower ones, because I believe his is a five lug, are those custom lower control arms?

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Hey Chris

Do those coilovers you found have an adjustable dampening setup?

It truely sucks that nobody can give a strait answer on the stock spring rate,
I wanted to know when I was curious about stock vs Eibach, but not even Eibach could tell me anything.. They basically said it was top secret.. :rolleyes:

Seems as tho if it isnt a car, nobody states spring rates :(
If its a truck, its all about looks, god forbid any handeling improvments..

Much harder to do things the proper way for all around performance..
Makes being competive in a truck somewhat hit or miss as well..

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
also 93-02 Camaro front shocks have potential.. :)

JEGS High Performance - QA1 Coil-Over Kit Front Camaro/Firebird

I've got access to a suitcase full of electronic scales to weigh each wheel of the truck to figure out a combonation for spring rate..

From whats available for the Camaro, Id say roughly sence they have either a 6 or an 8 in them, a 300pd spring might be pretty all around for the fronts..

To give ya an idea im running a 8" 2.5dia' 275 linier rate eibach coil over setup on a set of koni adjustables on my trucklet and thats one hell of a firm ride.. that weighs 2190 with 1/2 tank of gas w/out driver..

being that the truck is a bit heavier, i'd say 300 would be a nice ride and you have adjustable dampening/rebound to make up for things..

if its too loose, firm it up, too stiff, order the 275's..

their cheap enough..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts