Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently inherited my father-in-laws 1999 SR5 2wd (5 Lug) but will be picking it up next month - meaning it is 5 states away and I can't go out and measure the seatbelts.

It is the typical seat belt issue where they haven't been able to retract for years (since I had a 1995 5 lug but sold years ago) and I want to replace them. I've been looking at Seat Belts Plus but not 100% sure which ones to get. I want to do custom and need to ship them to my mother-in-laws house (Ebay sellers will only send to your home address).

I was a member of CT when I had my '95 but didn't do much to it as it was an automatic. The '99 is a manual and am super stoked to own another Taco!

Thanks all!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,865 Posts
Are you sure the original seatbelts aren't usable? If they fail to retract it could be as simple as a dirt / crud issue you might fix by cleaning and lubricating the reels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure the original seatbelts aren't usable? If they fail to retract it could be as simple as a dirt / crud issue you might fix by cleaning and lubricating the reels.
I thought about that but I will have less than a day to troubleshoot / diagnose while I'm there. I think it'll be easier to pull, replace and drive. I'll keep the old ones for repair though, I just won't have time then.

Two other points, if I am unable to repair them then I will have no seatbelts and lastly, I want custom 🙂.

Thanks!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,865 Posts
Has this truck ever been in a collision?

Something occurred to me ... If the airbag system had ever been activated the seatbelt units would have automatically locked. I'm wondering whether activation of the seatbelt locking could have somehow rendered the seatbelts unable to retract. My point is that maybe there's something other than the seatbelts themselves that would need to be updated or repaired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has this truck ever been in a collision?

Something occurred to me ... If the airbag system had ever been activated the seatbelt units would have automatically locked. I'm wondering whether activation of the seatbelt locking could have somehow rendered the seatbelts unable to retract. My point is that maybe there's something other than the seatbelts themselves that would need to be updated or repaired.
No wrecks as far as I know. I truly believe that this is gummed up retractor that finally just stopped working, it's
difficult without me seeing the truck until next month.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why not get an OEM belt from Toyota? I recently replaced the belts in my '96. Seems like they were ~$150 ea. Like all factory parts, they fit and work perfectly.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I had to replace mine (1998) because they were torn. Universal seatbelts can work. Cheap. I got mine from summit racing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts