Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
adding more Power to the \"power windows\"??

My double cab windows go sooo slow and sound like they are struggling. Is there a way to improve the speed of those windows. Is there a way to add more power to the engine that controls them? Thnx HOMIES!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: adding more Power to the \"power windows\"??

I've got the same problem...
I looked at the window mechanism, there seems to be enough grease in the track., not sure what else to look for...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

you think its a defect in the truck, like when they built it, they wired it with thin wires that isnt giving it enough power?

·
DELETE THIS ACCOUNT
8,493 Posts

My double cab windows go sooo slow and sound like they are struggling. Is there a way to improve the speed of those windows. Is there a way to add more power to the engine that controls them? Thnx HOMIES!
"yeah.. my truck is stock.. but my windows can do the 1/4 mile in 13 seconds."

·
Registered
74 Posts

I'm sure Toyota sized the wires to match the motor's current draw. The wires would get hot if they were too small. My dome light does dim without the motor running though...

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts

I'm sure Toyota sized the wires to match the motor's current draw. The wires would get hot if they were too small. My dome light does dim without the motor running though...
good point.. but thicker wires would solve that... im thinking its the same theory as that kennebell BAP.. all it does is send more juice to the fuel pump to make it deliver more fuel... im thinking more volts to the motor might mean it rolls up quicker... no clue though... ive noticed that double cab windows seem to roll up pretty quick.. then again they are smaller though..

·
Registered
74 Posts

im thinking more volts to the motor might mean it rolls up quicker... no clue though... ive noticed that double cab windows seem to roll up pretty quick.. then again they are smaller though..
I follow you on the votage idea. In fact they work faster with the motor running. I timed mine:
Ignition off : 3.5 sec down a bit less that 4sec up
IIgnition on: 2.5 sec down 3 sec up

I have tinted glass and Weathertech shields. It's raining here, so that might effect the times also.
The window motors don't sound smooth...

·
Registered
119 Posts

Here's my tip.......works for me everytime. It sounds crazy till you try it. Get some good cleaner/de-greaser (simple green for me), and clean the inside of the window rail weatherstrip where the window glass rides on it(make sure the window is down). Then from your local auto parts store or hardware store or walmart-type store, get a can of silicone spray-not the tire shine stuff! It's usually around the wd-40 and other spray lubricants. Spray a little in the clean track and run the window up and down a few times. It should be a little better. Then spray a little more - and roll the window up and down a few more times. After a few squirts the windows should be cruising at warp speed again. If you think about it it makes sense - the dirty window track grabs the window and puts resistance on it. And there you go......no need to re-wire!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Here's my tip.......works for me everytime. It sounds crazy till you try it. Get some good cleaner/de-greaser (simple green for me), and clean the inside of the window rail weatherstrip where the window glass rides on it(make sure the window is down). Then from your local auto parts store or hardware store or walmart-type store, get a can of silicone spray-not the tire shine stuff! It's usually around the wd-40 and other spray lubricants. Spray a little in the clean track and run the window up and down a few times. It should be a little better. Then spray a little more - and roll the window up and down a few more times. After a few squirts the windows should be cruising at warp speed again. If you think about it it makes sense - the dirty window track grabs the window and puts resistance on it. And there you go......no need to re-wire!
My father actually recommended that too... hmm.. i guess im goin to have to try it then
thnx

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

nothin like a good ol' lube.. i wonder if ky jelly would work?

Whats Ky Jelly?
Sounds like you kno the wonders of KY Jelly pretty good...

Hahaha... jk... lol I'll stick to that silicone lube for my windows

·
Registered
841 Posts

<font color="green">If you guys want to make those Suckas FLY, you will need to run a 10g power wire into each door and relay the wires ........ by doing so, you'll be giving your motors straigth power off the battery ......

I did that with my B-law's Falcons, Nova wagon, and my Hoopties !!!
Just make sure you wire up the relays correct .........

don't forget to wire up your ALTERNATOR to your BATTERY with 4g Power & Ground ..... to get the best Juice out of your alternator ..... and have your Battery charged 110% of the time !!!
</font>

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts

If you guys want to make those Suckas FLY, you will need to run a 10g power wire into each door and relay the wires ........ by doing so, you'll be giving your motors straigth power off the battery ......

don't forget to wire up your ALTERNATOR to your BATTERY with 4g Power & Ground ..... to get the best Juice out of your alternator ..... and have your Battery charged 110% of the time !!!
very good info!!!!
if only i knew wtf he was talkin about though

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

<font color="green">If you guys want to make those Suckas FLY, you will need to run a 10g power wire into each door and relay the wires ........ by doing so, you'll be giving your motors straigth power off the battery ......

</font>

wont that kill the motors?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

very good info!!!!
if only i knew wtf he was talkin about though
HAHAHA...

that sounds like too much of a mission I was thinkin of grabbing 8 gauge Jumper cables and seeing if the engine would go faster by hot wiring it, if it did I would think bout changing the wiring lol, but sounds like a mission and half... how long did it take you? and relays!? I need to buy relays too? or i use the ones that are already there
I wish I knew what he was talkin bout sometimes too lol...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

what he is saying......
if u add more VOLTS to the motors, they will go faster.
what the relay does is.. u take the power wire going to the motors, and connect it to the Relay.
you connect the wire from the relay, to the electric motor.
the relay will use the original power wire, as a remote
the larger gauge wire is needed for the additional volts which will be sent to the electric motor.
and once again, extra volts on an electric motor = More Power
more power = faster up and down.
just becareful what relay u use. if u go to high with the volts, u can fry the motor pretty quick
its pretty straight foward how it works.. shouldnt take u to long

·
Registered
841 Posts

what he is saying......
if u add more VOLTS to the motors, they will go faster.
what the relay does is.. u take the power wire going to the motors, and connect it to the Relay.
you connect the wire from the relay, to the electric motor.
the relay will use the original power wire, as a remote
the larger gauge wire is needed for the additional volts which will be sent to the electric motor.
and once again, extra volts on an electric motor = More Power
more power = faster up and down.
just becareful what relay u use. if u go to high with the volts, u can fry the motor pretty quick
its pretty straight foward how it works.. shouldnt take u to long
<font color="green"> THANKs Victor .......
That's what the relays are for ... to increase the power flow from the battery to the power window motor .....
You can use an 8g. main power wire off your battery(FUSED) to inside the cab,
split the 8g. into 2/4 10g. .... one 10g. per door...2= 2door/4= 4doors ....etc.
remove your door panel and check for the power plug on the motor,
<font color="blue">(the best/fastes,best looking results on inserting the 10g wire is to pop out the rubber boot off the door and body, get a metal hanger/unfold and insert thru one end,tape off the other end together with the 10g and run thru the boot/door)</font>
with the POWER wire in, butt it up and plug it into the relays(two per door),
<font color="red">(you have two wires into the motor, they reverse polarity +/- ..... PLEASE becareful... I CAN NOT and will NOT be held responsible for misinterpetations ..... Is WHY I'm NOT POSTING A RELAY WIRING DIAGRAM ......if you are not familiar with 12V, let a Pro-Installer do it )</font>
You can also go with an easier way of putting a bigger amp fuse .....
it wont make them fly, though it will help alittle .....
GOOD LUCK !!!
</font>

1 - 20 of 33 Posts