Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2wd (5-lug) Extended Cab

I did a search and didn't find anything that exactly matched my question / issue but if you know of a thread, I'd be happy to read it. I have two odd sounds coming from the AC.

1. I believe is the blower... when I turn it on to 1 or 2 it's near silent (other than normal fan / air noises. However on 3 and especially 4 I turn it sounds like it's vibrating like crazy, somethings off balance. Video attached.
2. As the AC is running, every so often it will sound like a blowoff valve. <psssshhhht> LOL.

I assume there's going to be dash pulling and replacements so what all should I replace and is there a good place to source these parts without getting too expensive?

Thank you!

·
Vendor
104 Posts
1: Def just replace the blower motor, pretty common in any vehicle for them to sound strange after time, when you pull it you will ilkely find leaves and other outside debris.
2: Where is the sound comming from? sounds l ike a pressure relief valve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1: Def just replace the blower motor, pretty common in any vehicle for them to sound strange after time, when you pull it you will ilkely find leaves and other outside debris.
2: Where is the sound comming from? sounds l ike a pressure relief valve
1. Thanks! I'll look into that... it was parked outside so I wouldn't doubt that it's full of "organics"
2. It sounds like it's coming from under the dash near the drivers feet.
Thanks again!

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,047 Posts
The blower motor / AC unit is underneath the dash - it's not completely hidden behind the dash.

Reactions: Phunky1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blower motor / AC unit is underneath the dash - it's not completely hidden behind the dash.
Thanks EG! I've seen some videos and it looks easy enough. Any thoughts on the other sound? I wish I could record it but it's,kind of faint.

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,126 Posts
What about the other sound? Does it still make the "blow off valve" sound?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,047 Posts
Does the blow-off sound always happen at the time the compressor is starting up or disengaging?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had to guess, it's surging in the lines. Maybe your refrigerant levels are low?
Ah, OK, that makes sense... I'm taking it in for a PPI (POST purchase inspection in this case) so hoping they'll find it. I'm going to be doing 90% of the work on it but just want them to find anything I've missed just in case.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ah, OK, that makes sense... I'm taking it in for a PPI (POST purchase inspection in this case) so hoping they'll find it. I'm going to be doing 90% of the work on it but just want them to find anything I've missed just in case.

Thanks for your help!
You're welcome. I just finished revamping my entire AC setup, so let me know if you need any more information as this stuff is fresh in my mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts