Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

ABS disable switch mod

4932 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  rodstone
Not sure if this is were I should ask this question and couldn't find much info on it at the moment but anyhow here goes...Can I do the ABS disable switch mod to my '08 2WD 5 lugger? My buddy with a '01 2WD SR5 4Runner would like to do it to his as well if possible? TIA
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Do you have the traction control stuff (VSC / TRAC / Auto LSD / Whatever ...)? If you disable the ABS you're probably going to mess with or lose these functions as well.

Or is that the point? :thinking:
just pull the abs fuse and call it a day:lol: thank god i dont have abs:doah:

Do you have the traction control stuff (VSC / TRAC / Auto LSD / Whatever ...)? If you disable the ABS you're probably going to mess with or lose these functions as well.

Or is that the point? :thinking:

My truck doesn't have traction control stuff, just ABS. I remember reading about this a while back and they were doing it on Tacos with all the traction control stuff. This mod is useful on trucks that go off road. While driving off road, braking is horrible and ABS goes nuts with the smallest apply to the brakes (every time you try to stop the ABS kicks in and sometimes you won't stop anywhere near where you intended to stop). With this mod you can simply flip a switch when you get off road and turn off the ABS and braking is 100 times better. I think I might have seen this on Tacomaworld. I will see if I can find it on their forum and will let you guys in on the info.
Just pull ABS fuse and replace with a wire put an inline fuse in it and a switch.

+....................fuse...................../ switch.....................-
Just pull ABS fuse and replace with a wire put an inline fuse in it and a switch.

or just find the main pwr line once it's in the cab and tap into it there. May take a bit to find, but once you do it'll be a cleaner install. I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Maybe once it warms up and school it's such a pain.

or just find the main pwr line once it's in the cab and tap into it there. May take a bit to find, but once you do it'll be a cleaner install. I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Maybe once it warms up and school it's such a pain.
I believe that both of those ideas will not work. I'm pretty sure I read that pulling the fuse not only disables the abs but you loose power assisted braking as well. I really haven't done much research on this but I just took a look at the wire diagrams and from what I understand the ABS system is only activated when it receives a input from the brake light switch...? So, if you interrupt the signal from the brake light switch to the abs ecu with a switch you are only disabling the abs ecu from activating the pump when there is difference in wheel speed and locking up? I just want to 100% sure about this and receive input from others before I go cuttin and splicing wires. Here are the 2 diagrams I have looked at. Let me if there is anything else I should be looking at. I just having trouble figuring out which is the main signal input wire to activate the abs to monitor wheel speed and skid control.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyewd/06toypdf/ewd/2006/tacoma/h/em01d23.pdf
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyewd/06toypdf/ewd/2006/tacoma/h/em01d12.pdf
See less See more
You've got mail! :waytogo:

Check the inbox on your registered email account for some more relevant reference documentation.
So I think I've got it. Forgot the golden rule, K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid):doah:.
(It's keeping me up too)

Let' start off with a simple description of the ABS system.

Page 185 of repair manual
ABS System Outline
This system controls the respective brake fluid pressure acting on the disc brake cylinders of the right front wheel, left front wheel and rear wheels when the brakes are applied in a panic stop so that the wheels do not lock. This results in improved directional stability and steerability during panic braking.
especially off-road
1. Input Signals
(1) Speed senor signal
The speed of the wheels is detected and input.....to the ECU.
(2) Stop lamp SW signal
A signal is input to terminal (B) 14 of the skid control ECU with actuator when the brake pedal is depressed.

2. System Operation
During sudden braking the skid control ECU w. actuator has signals input from each sensor, which controls the current to the solenoid inside the actuator and lets the hydraulic pressure acting on each wheel cylinder escape to the reservoir........the rest is pretty much how the actuator adjust to wheel difference.

So, the ABS ECU uses the signal from the brake light switch to know when to start monitor of wheel speed sensors and make adjustments by activating the actuator to make hydraulic adjustments. So doesn't it makes sense to just interrupt that signal from the brake switch to the ABS ECU to disable the ABS when braking off-road? I don't see what else there is for input to the ECU to control wheel speed (how else does it know when the truck is braking). Please, if you have any input it would be greatly appreciated. I know there are quite a few us out there that would love to have this mod. TIA

Again, this is for the trucks with out VSC or rear locker.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.