Great job Rich..

Grille 100
Hardware 15
Bondo 10
BondoGlass 10
Mesh 10
Paint 50
"quote"
It took me longer because I was a dumbass and used a sawzall to cut the original grille bars out. That made me have to fill spots I wouldn't have had to if I just used my dremel discs and wheels.
Probably 4-5 hours total work, but you'll have delays for drying time of the bondo/primer/fiberglass/etc. "end quote"
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=212429

looks good, great job, and sweet pictorial..

Attachments

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe he did..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crap! I wanted to be the first guy that had a grill like the one at last year's SEMA show!!!

I was going to go ahead and do this, but I couldn't figure out how to get the complete surface on the inside of the grill. :shrug: Those slits that are cut out don't just cover themselves.

Does anyone have a DIY on this one?

Better yet - Would someone be willing to make one for me? :bow:

·
Banned
2,554 Posts
007Tacoma: That's my truck above.

The holes left in the interior sides can really only be filled with fiberglass and bondo, so its obviously not a day/weekend job. However, it can be done by someone with some minor bodywork experience and alot of patience. The filling and sanding to get it perfect is a pain.

I'm probably going to Satoshi my 2nd grille over the next month or so to put on eBay. I'll post it up here when its ready.
Rich

·
Registered
30 Posts
007Tacoma: That's my truck above.

The holes left in the interior sides can really only be filled with fiberglass and bondo, so its obviously not a day/weekend job. However, it can be done by someone with some minor bodywork experience and alot of patience. The filling and sanding to get it perfect is a pain.

I'm probably going to Satoshi my 2nd grille over the next month or so to put on eBay. I'll post it up here when its ready.
Rich
How expensive do you think it would be to chrome it, or paint it to match my impulse red pearl truck?

I hope that I can buy it from you when you want to pass it on:meemee:, but I have to approve that with my other half (wife/accountant). ;)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
that would look sweet. paint to match

·
Banned
2,554 Posts
I'll let you know when I have it done. I'm still trying to work out some bugs in my design that would allow me to turn these around pretty quickly.

I overdid the 1st one.

·
Banned
2,554 Posts
The mesh mounting for starters. The design to wrap the mesh around the hole is flawed & can be accomplished with mounting blocks/brackets/etc so you don't have to bend it. Not having to bend it opens me up to use a ton of different materials as well as being able to powdercoat them, which doesn't survive the bending very well...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts