Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally finished my project!

Parts...

Headlamps: Ebay Clear lens multi-reflector headlamps ($90-$100 a pair, shipped!) They are decent quality.
Projectors: 2006 Acura TL Bi-xenon 3" ZKW clear lenses
Bulbs: Philips 85122+ D2S 4300K
Ballasts: Hella GenIII 35W D2S
Bezels: E46-R 3" chrome
PnP Wiring harness: Handmade to custom fit to the truck. 3 fuses, 1 relay, 1 diode, 210 degree F rated heavy insulated multistranded copper, soldered and heat shrinked all connections.

I will let the pictures do the talking from here...

First I trimmed the TL foreground limiter to give me more usable foreground on the sides of the beam since the TL projector was designed for a headlight that is 30" off the ground, not 45"

More pictures to come tomorrow when I get the lamps sealed back up and the grill reinstalled. Also I'll have output and driving photos later on so subscribe to this thread if you are interested!

- Jay

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
FINISHED!

:D
Night and Day difference from stock...front end of truck pics to come, once I get the grill back on (hoping to install air horns first).

Sealed up the back of the headlight water tight using hightemp aluminum tape and silicone around the hole where the solenoid wires come through.

Low Beam:

High Beam:

Low beam:

High beam:

Low beam:

High beam:

If you drive a lot at night, this is one of the most worthwhile mods you can do!

I'm open to doing them for members here for reasonable labor fees. I've done about 30 of these previously on other vehicles.

- JL

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How much are you going to charge to do these?
Probably around $150 labor plus return shipping which is at most $25 for me to UPS them within the lower 48 US states. Now that I've done one, I could get another one done in about 8 hours.

You would need to get the parts:
FX35, E55 or TL bi-xenon projectors would all work. They run anywhere from $100 for the E55 (least preferred) to $180 for a set of TL's (most preferred). FX's are great projectors as well and run $110 - $160 a set.
The E46-R bezels are $40 - $70 a pair
Bulbs should be OEM D2S by Philips or Osram and run $30-$50 a pair
Ballasts should be OEM but you can use aftermarket D2S ballasts if brave. $100 - $150 a pair
Wiring is the tricky part. I could probably make a harness up for you for $30.

All in all I'd say this would cost you $450 if you can do it yourself, $600 if you have someone like me do it and you find good deals on parts (though I think most retrofitters charge more than I do). You have to have a dremel and skill using one to be successful.

I could find the parts for you and offer package pricing though. Probably in the $650 price range. Doing 2001-2005 headlamps is also doable and the beauty of that is you would not have to buy aftermarket clear lens headlamps like '98-'00 owners would have to.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking nice, it's too bad the E46 R shrouds didn't cover the whole projector.
It could have if I mounted them deeper but then I wouldn't have room to connect the D2S connectors to the bulbs!

With the lens covers on and with them mounted on the truck you really don't notice it since the E46 bezel is so wide...only from the side angle can you see any part of the projector...I wanted to keep the Chrome headlight look to reduce contrast of the projector which makes the taco look like an EEK smilie! hah.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks oddly like somthing I have seen before. But. Can't quiet place <-------
Looks great

Haha, thanks! I have had these TL's laying around for over a year and finally have a vehicle that can fit them as retrofit! They are excellent projectors! I like the way they came out with the E46 bezels. I had bought E55 bezels planning to use them, but they looked to much like eyes! :doah:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Damn, I'm getting anxious to finish my murano retrofit. Stupid wrong size acrylic sheets. :brickknoc
Haha, thanks! I have had these TL's laying around for over a year and finally have a vehicle that can fit them as retrofit! They are excellent projectors! I like the way they came out with the E46 bezels. I had bought E55 bezels planning to use them, but they looked to much like eyes! :doah:

·
Registered
307 Posts
do you think you could build me a some of these? i dont want to hunt down parts and wait for them all to get hear then send them to you hows about i send you the money to get the parts. you do all the ordering build the kit and i pay you the rest when your done and ready to ship or something like that:shrug: because i was thinking of geting a hid kit or doing one like this myself but it seem like alot of work that is over my head :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the output..

that aluminum air ducting tape won't last..

Thanks. Nothing like a projector HID!

The tape is not air duct tape. it's high temp aluminum tape made for repairing metal chimneys. The adhesive backing turns rock solid once it's heated. I've used it on other retrofits and it's lasted over 2 years so far on the first one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ WTF? :confused:

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
Kinda looks like your headlights. They get that "bugeye" look when you put the little round lenses in the square lenses. Thought it was funny.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kinda looks like your headlights. They get that "bugeye" look when you put the little round lenses in the square lenses. Thought it was funny.

Oh! I got ya. It actually doesn't look that bad with the bezels I used and leaving everything chrome. Much less like eyes than other Taco retrofits I've seen pictures of. :cool:

I'll take pics of the front end soon, but I'm leaving for a trout fishing trip now! :clapping:

·
Registered
856 Posts
OK everyone that swears by PNP kits, this is how its done!!....

Notice, the parts can be had for much cheaper than the $500+ everyone says they will cost. i picked up 07 TLs and nearly new denso ballasts for $211 on egay. picked up a set of barely used bulbs for $38, made a wire harness for $20, and for less than $275, i have everything i need but a few screws and nuts to mount to the headlights! and it does not take a long time to do. easily on a weekend, totally worth it!!

Jesse - what is the name of that tape? can i pick it up at home depot / OSH?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.